improving a mark IIC fx loop?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimAnsell

Reaction score
is there anything that can be done to improve the mark IIc fx loop?
it almost sounds like it is placed in front of the lead channel or something.
i have a boss dd-2 and ce-2, and they both sound like they're overloading the fx loop.
almost sounds the same as if i were to run them in front of the amp.

JimAnsell said:
i have a boss dd-2 and ce-2, and they both sound like they're overloading the fx loop.

Quoted from "The Boogie Files"

Mark IIC+ Effects Loop:

To have the definitive proof that an amp is in fact a IIC+ claim, one must first ascertain the above, but to prove beyond a doubt, there is a simple effects loop play test.

1) Plug your guitar into the fx return with the amp in LEAD mode.

2) Play a chord and let it ring out.

3) While it is ringing out, adjust the lead drive pot.

If there is a change in sound as you adjust that lead drive control - it is NOT a C+, it must be a Mark IIC. Reason is because the lead voice was placed entirely in the pre amp section in the C+ whereas the original C had some shaping after the pre amp which is why that lead drive would effect the sound when you plug your guitar into the fx return (bypassing the pre amp section).

This is your answer, "shaping after the preamp" and effects loop. 8)

There is a fix for this, and you know who to call. :D

JOEY B. said:
JimAnsell said:

Quoted from "The Boogie Files"

Mark IIC+ Effects Loop:

To have the definitive proof that an amp is in fact a IIC+ claim, one must first ascertain the above, but to prove beyond a doubt, there is a simple effects loop play test.

1) Plug your guitar into the fx return with the amp in LEAD mode.

2) Play a chord and let it ring out.

3) While it is ringing out, adjust the lead drive pot.

If there is a change in sound as you adjust that lead drive control - it is NOT a C+, it must be a Mark IIC. Reason is because the lead voice was placed entirely in the pre amp section in the C+ whereas the original C had some shaping after the pre amp which is why that lead drive would effect the sound when you plug your guitar into the fx return (bypassing the pre amp section).

This is your answer, "shaping after the preamp" and effects loop. 8)

There is a fix for this, and you know who to call. :D

does that fix NOT involve making it a c+?
i kinda want to keep it a C.

I've got your same problem: I can't run any multifx or pedal into the fx loop, and this is a well known problem of the IIC. In fact, the IIC+ doesn't have this problem so you can decide to modify it in a C+; the modify costs around 300$ (at Mesa plant) but the price depends if your amp has reverb or not (the price may be lower).
Consider that the modify change the overall sound a little bit so, if you like the sound of your IIC very much, wait a minute and spent a few hours playing a C+ before making the modify.
However, there's another way to solve the problem: an amp tech can make a new fx loop into an external box, wit his 12AX7 and an adjustable return level. This modify doesn't change anything in sound and you don't need to modify your amp; and if you want to sell the amp in the future, you can return to the previous situation.
That's it...in Italy this modify costs € 200 ($ 265) but in the USA it might costs less than here.
I'm waiting to make this modify next month, then I'll tell you how it change my needs. :wink:

Latest posts

Back