I'm just never satisfied...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingster911

Reaction score
I own a custom colored RK II combo, and I'm not sure if it's what I really need. I use the high-gain channels with the same tubes and settings, but the only difference is Ch. 3 is Vintage as opposed to 4, Modern. I enjoy the deep lush lead tones of Ch. 2 but am not sure if I realllllly enjoy the LoneStar cleans. Is it true that the normal Dual Recs. have a better more authentic gruffness to them. Isn't it said the RK doesn't fully live up to the Dual Rec. I think I have it figured out if I don't actually end up needing this, that I might have to get just a Dual Rec. and use the 2nd channel for just a pushed sound (1st for clean of course) and 3rd for modern. I'm a teen who plays a lot of leads and want more cut and liquidity in the tone. I need a little more of a tight distortion sound and the RK almost sounds too hollow for me on the high gain. I know its some part due to it being an open-back combo. Would anyone be willing, since I can't return this high-end expensive-as-all-hell amplifier, to trade something like a Dual Rec., possibly an older model, and a guitar for this monster of tone?

From the sounds of it, you should consider a Mark IV instead. If you want liquid lead tone and focused high gain then it's right up your alley.

One has to wonder, did you demo the RKII before buying it?!

I hadn't tried it but I tried a RK I. I was supposed to get an RK I but I was a victim of the Boogie Depression. I was one of the long waiters that was supposed to get a series I b/c I ordered custom I just made the cutoff to get a Series II. I thought someone would tell me to get a Mark IV. Aren't those hard to find? I wanna try one out, I'm lookin' for searing liquid tones cuz I'm very percussive in my playing with a lot of bends and the like. What is modded about that dual rec anyways?

kingster911 said:
I hadn't tried it but I tried a RK I. I was supposed to get an RK I but I was a victim of the Boogie Depression. I was one of the long waiters that was supposed to get a series I b/c I ordered custom I just made the cutoff to get a Series II. I thought someone would tell me to get a Mark IV. Aren't those hard to find? I wanna try one out, I'm lookin' for searing liquid tones cuz I'm very percussive in my playing with a lot of bends and the like. What is modded about that dual rec anyways?

Mark IV's are relatively common around here but I live in Chicago so I guess it's relative. I think it's what you're looking for exactly. Maybe scan the rigs/tones forum for some Mark IV clips and see if they're what you're hearing in your head.

Personally, I do find the Dual Recto Solo Head to be a little more dual recto than the road king.

It is a similar trend with Mesa IMO....with more versatility and options, you loose some of the base girth that made the amp what it was.

First, the two channel------> 3 channel (more options)------->Road King (even more options).

IMO, there is always a trade off......I believe the 3 channel is the perfect compromise!

I would definitely try a retube first! Check out the LONG thread I just posted.....it would be the cheapest way out for you.

Hmm I'll check up on those things...In the meantime, since I'm not a big forum poster since recently: what the hell does IMO mean?!

JamesD said:
In My Opinion, is that IMO?
Big%20Thumbs%20Up.jpg

i agree that you should get a mark4. These amps are sweeter than adding sugar to the icing of a cake after dipping it in caramel. cheesy joke, but i try. Anyways, the mark4 will do the TIGHT sound flawlessly as well as the smooth lead sound you want better than most mesa's out there (besides other marks of course, that's where the fun begins, the debating). you can sell the RK1, get a mark4 and make a profit! If not, try scanning around for posts about lead settings for the RK1. I think boogiebabies used to say he could get it close to a c+?

Elpelotero said:
i agree that you should get a mark4. These amps are sweeter than adding sugar to the icing of a cake after dipping it in caramel. cheesy joke, but i try. Anyways, the mark4 will do the TIGHT sound flawlessly as well as the smooth lead sound you want better than most mesa's out there (besides other marks of course, that's where the fun begins, the debating). you can sell the RK1, get a mark4 and make a profit! If not, try scanning around for posts about lead settings for the RK1. I think boogiebabies used to say he could get it close to a c+?

That was me with the mark-ish settings for the RK:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=5396

By the way, it helps to have a RK1, so you can smooth out the tone by changing the EL34's to Triode. It also helps to have a RK 4x12. The open-back combo is definitely hurting your chances of achieving the tone that you've described.

kingster911 said:
I own a custom colored RK II combo, and I'm not sure if it's what I really need. I use the high-gain channels with the same tubes and settings, but the only difference is Ch. 3 is Vintage as opposed to 4, Modern. I enjoy the deep lush lead tones of Ch. 2 but am not sure if I realllllly enjoy the LoneStar cleans. Is it true that the normal Dual Recs. have a better more authentic gruffness to them. Isn't it said the RK doesn't fully live up to the Dual Rec. I think I have it figured out if I don't actually end up needing this, that I might have to get just a Dual Rec. and use the 2nd channel for just a pushed sound (1st for clean of course) and 3rd for modern. I'm a teen who plays a lot of leads and want more cut and liquidity in the tone. I need a little more of a tight distortion sound and the RK almost sounds too hollow for me on the high gain. I know its some part due to it being an open-back combo. Would anyone be willing, since I can't return this high-end expensive-as-all-hell amplifier, to trade something like a Dual Rec., possibly an older model, and a guitar for this monster of tone?

I think the RK II nails the original DR's and IMO is closer to the early 2 channels between 92 and 95. If it were my setup, I would use the open back combo for Ch. 1 and 2 and then use a closed back 2X2 for Ch. 3 and 4. All of your recto tone is going out the back of the combo. Is it me, or are Ch. 3 and 4 heinous through a good front loaded 4X12.

I think the RK II nails the original DR's and IMO is closer to the early 2 channels between 92 and 95

big statement from a big a man! (or you may be short in stature, what do I know). Just another reason for me to test drive a rk2

Latest posts

Back