I totally misjudged the lonestar

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primal

Reaction score
Previously when I have played the lonestar, I felt the drive was muddy and loose and just not to my liking at all.

The weekend, I was in guitar center in the back sound room with a lonestar, so I plugged in.

Again, I did not like the drive. But I realized I was not really giving it any volume. So I cranked it.

Wham. It tightened right up an gave me a gorgious old school drive tone. Got much brighter too.

Now I had to turn the bass all the way off, but I was loving the tone I was getting out of it once i turned the bass off. Very old school classic rock tones. Played some Zepplin and AC/DC and it sounded killer.

Now I want to try the special the same way. Might have to get me one of those.

Bass will thin out with the gain turned down. In some cases way down. Engage the drive and a much thinner OD can be had.

The LSC is my go too amp right now

I too had overlooked it when exploring life through previous Triaxis / 2:90 and Stiletto rigs. Then I spent serious time with one and found excellent, easy to dial in clean and driven sounds I control from my guitar

Less complex and easier to live with than my MKV, and gets to all points classic rock / heavy OD with EL34's under the bonnet. And it loves good OD pedals to get more colour

Works well for me on most levels :D

My main amp is a Mark V, but I have an LSS that I like using for more 'classic' tones. When I originally A/B'd it against the LSC I chose the LSS because I thought it sounded a little more 'rock and roll'. As in, it copped that 'out of control' vibe a little bit better.

I have mine dialled in for a driven Fender on channel 1 and something along the lines of (but not exactly like) a JTM-45 on channel 2. Effects loop is bypassed unless I need the solo boost for some reason.

When using it at low volumes I typically use an OD in front of it to help brighten it up a bit. At loud volumes though it's totally unnecessary.

Latest posts

Back