I suddenly cant dial in my Mark V...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hendog

Reaction score
I just got a Recto 2x12 horizontal and I suddenly cannot dial in the amp (CH3)!

I am frustrated to say the least. No balls, either its shrill or there is no high end, no body.

I know a 2x12 is not going to sound like my 4x12 but wtf?

Should I try EL34's and go from there?

Is the 2x12 new or used? I got a brand new Mills Acoustics 212 about a month ago and at first I was not that pleased with tones, especially channel 3. I came from a cruddy Line 6 412 with "custom" V30s MIC but to me even that sounded better at first. Now I'm liking the tones all over. MKV is a weird amp, but I love it.

Hendog said:
I just got a Recto 2x12 horizontal and I suddenly cannot dial in the amp (CH3)!

I am frustrated to say the least. No balls, either its shrill or there is no high end, no body.

I know a 2x12 is not going to sound like my 4x12 but wtf?

Should I try EL34's and go from there?

Try this, and put it at Hi Volumes... http://www.johnpetrucci.com/gear.htm (Pics of Petrucci's Config)
You Can Try some SED =C= Tubes...

This sounds silly but when it happened to me, the send level knob had gotten turned down in the back and when I brought back up to 12 O'CLock, it fixed it.

Worth a shot.

RocknRory said:
Is the 2x12 new or used?

That's what I was thinking as well. If it is new and has V30's look forward to it being shrill for the next 60+ hours of play.

It is the v30s. I would rather have the black shadows. But like others have said, if it is new, once the speakers break in , it will sound much better.

I have the vertical recto 2x12. Once I switched to EL34's the shrill seemed to be reduced significantly and there is still plenty of punch. Plus like the others said, if that cab is new, the speakers probably need some break in time.

DrummerChas said:
I have the vertical recto 2x12. Once I switched to EL34's the shrill seemed to be reduced significantly and there is still plenty of punch. Plus like the others said, if that cab is new, the speakers probably need some break in time.

Do you think that "shrill" comes from all the 6l6 valves or just from the Mesa Str 440 6l6 ? Cause i bought 4 SED =C= 6l6 to get out that shrill, and now i'm afraid of have been the wrong choise...

I installed SED 6L6's and Tungsol 12AX7's and I am very happy with the sound. I am not getting any shrill. I play mostly 90's Hard Rock, Alice in Chains, STP, Foo Fighters, etc

Back