I Only Waited a Couple of Decades for This Day

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I told my wife that she bought me a Triple Crown TC-50 Head for our 50th anniversary (later this year), after she told me I bought her a fancy necklace. I've been wanting a Boogie for a couple of decades but they were too pricey to justify, until there was a special occasion to magically justify it!

I practice and gig with a 2018 Gibson SG Special (mini-humbuckers), a 2021 G&L Tribute Legacy and a Hamer archtop flametop with humbuckers (this one's for slide playing). My 1964 SG stays home. I love the variety of tonal variations I can get with the TC-50! I mostly play classic rock, and sometimes blues. I'm on California's Central Coast and am working with a new band.

Welcome to the forum.

I love my Triple Crown, I have the TC-100.

One thing I recommend is putting in a good quality 12AT7 in the cathode follower position (V5), it makes a very noticeable difference, and an EQ in the FX Loop.

https://boogieforum.com/threads/tc100-fx-loop-driver-v5.87118/

Here’s my current A-Rig:

https://boogieforum.com/threads/stereo-tc-100-rig.87239/

Dom
That’s a lot of gear! I travel light, but I’ll look into the 12AT7 and EQ suggestions, thanks.

Congratulations Sir, enjoy it in good health!!! I would love a 1964 SG, that is my birth year.
Today I know that a 1961/2/3 would be more valuable. But when I bought the SG in the 1960s, it was just, you know, an SG. I didn’t discover its actual vintage until ~10 years ago. This week I’ll try it through the TC-50.

The guitar player in my band (I play the drums) has a 1962 Gibson Les Paul. It is the model that eventually changed name to SG. I offended him by calling it what it is due to its shape. Anyhow, this axe has a single P90 pickup. I was amazed how good that guitar sounded through the TC50. At the time, I was playing through the TC100 with a standard humbucker thinking I had an edge, nope. That P90 ripped so good it was just incredible. He sent it to Gibson to rebuild the neck and fix the crack at the headstock. He barely takes that axe out but when he did it was enjoyable to hear it scream.

The guitar player in my band (I play the drums) has a 1962 Gibson Les Paul. It is the model that eventually changed name to SG. I offended him by calling it what it is due to its shape. Anyhow, this axe has a single P90 pickup. I was amazed how good that guitar sounded through the TC50. At the time, I was playing through the TC100 with a standard humbucker thinking I had an edge, nope. That P90 ripped so good it was just incredible. He sent it to Gibson to rebuild the neck and fix the crack at the headstock. He barely takes that axe out but when he did it was enjoyable to hear it scream.
My 2018 SG has mini-humbuckers, which fit the same routes as the P90 routes. Newer humbuckers have higher output than the vintage ones in my '64 SG. The minis have outputs closer to the vintage humbuckers. They all make good tones, they're just different sounds.

I just have to say that 62 had an overwound P90. He handed me his guitar to try out. I rolled the volume control back a bit, OK, that sounds like a single coil. Interesting. Of course I was not familiar with that guitar shape or its characteristics and dialed in the amp the way I like it and it lost that OMG sound. Different beast that works great with much higher gain settings. I was almost convinced to get some P90 to try but still was on the fence with the level of noise you get with it. The way he dialed in the amp, it just worked and sounded really good. That was impressive.

Latest posts

Back