I just joined the MKIV "club"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finnster

Reaction score
Here she is. I wanted the head but fell in love with the quilted maple. Might try to get a thiele cab to match.

294a_1.jpg

Definitely get the Thiele. Nice score on the combo. She's pretty.

Boogiebabies said:
musicman10_1 said:
fantastic

Do they make a Thiele "widebody?"

No.

I just realized this. A thiele would look a bit dumb under a widebody. I guess if you closed the back of a widebody 1X12 extention cab and then ported the front the result would be too much bass. Anyone try this?

[quote
BEAUTIFUL AMP!!! Can you post larger pics, please?!! 8)[/quote]

I will get a few more pics later this week for ya.

Finnster said:
Boogiebabies said:
musicman10_1 said:
fantastic

Do they make a Thiele "widebody?"

No.

I just realized this. A thiele would look a bit dumb under a widebody. I guess if you closed the back of a widebody 1X12 extention cab and then ported the front the result would be too much bass. Anyone try this?

I know they don't have a widebody Thiele and I haven't tried making one. You don't have to stack it on top of a Thiele in order to benefit from the Thiele. You can set them sided by side or even spread them and get better sound.

Random Hero said:
Would you guys recommend anyone picks up a Thiele then?

I think it sounds good with my MarkIV and my 2 ch DR.

Ok, now that I have had a week playing my MKIV I must say that it is great. It definately takes some time to get used to it. I keep comparing it to my Ace and the fluid drive of the Ace does give the IV a run for its money. The fluid drive is very vocal and violin like with a neck humbucker (EMG 85) and I love this sound but the LD channel on the IV is massive. I tried to compare the two by using a recto 2X12 cab. The Ace certainly is close to my heart by it may have to go because I think all in all the MKIV can cover anything I need it to.

BTW, some of you guys have talked about re-tubing the MKIV from its stock tubes.....should I or is it not really worth the money since my tubes are new. I really expected a bit more gain/smoothness out of the MK.

I also find R2 to be really fun and classic sounding with three different sounds....R2- R2 w/OCD and R2 w/EQ. Nice versatility in one channel alone.

I wouldn't worry about retubing real soon unless you need to. If you want to change the way you ramp sounds I would make a change though. A quality set of tubes should give you a slightly different feel and may add the gain/smoothness you are after. Depending upon what is in there now, NOS or RI (Mullard or Tung Sol) preamp tubes will give you a rounder more toneful sound that may smooth out your amp also. They may not add lots of noticeable gain but the rest of the tone will be nicer than any Mesa tube. There are of course tubes selected for more gain but you have to be careful because adding too much gain to the front end may limit your capabilities with the amp and add a harshness that you might not want. Smoothness may come from a different power tube also depending upon what is in there and how you are setting the amp.

EMG's certainly keep things tight with the Mark IV but also can be slightly harsh. You might also try a passive pickup to see if you can't smooth out your sound.

+1 on the passive hums, I have both and much prefer using the passives.

R2 w/ OCD rules 8)

Platypus said:
+1 on the passive hums, I have both and much prefer using the passives.

R2 w/ OCD rules 8)

I tried my LP Standard (stock pick-ups 1992) a few ago and it does sound a bit smoother than the EMG's. I have a Jackson Y2KV with Jazz/JB's in it and that guitar sounds so nice in the IV. I am also loving the loop switch..its nice to be able to turn it on and off on the fly.

Back