I just bought my 1st Mesa Boogie

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musical123

Reaction score
Last week I purchased a Mesa SOB for $300. This is my 1st boogie and the sound is incredible. My old amp, Peavey Delta Blues, while very good does not compare to the SOB. I think I have the Mesa “Bug” and am thinking about buying another one if the opportunity arises.

A couple of questions:

I have read a lot about the mark IV being the greatest thing since sliced bread. How does it compare to the SOB? And what would a beaten-up one go for (looking for something I can afford)?

While the SOB is not a switching amp I have read that you can buy an A/B switch to simulate this. Has anyone tried one and can you recommend an affordable brand?

Lastly, is there a site for SOB folks? Or a place that lists mods (such as turning it into a switching amp)?

Thanks for you feedback.

The SOB is basically a clone of the Mark I.

The Mark IV has a mark I style clean, Mark III style rhy2 and a IIC+III like lead sound. Thats a simple explenation of the differences.

The market value seems to be going up on the Mark IV's and picking one up for $1200 in good condition seems to be a good deal.

I paid $1050 for my widebody combo in near mint condition last year and a couple of months ago paid $1400 for a short head (ouch). The short heads are the most desired Mark IV IMO and can fetch a few extra bucks because of this.

Keep your eyes peeled on ebay, craigslist, and the classifieds on this site.

You might be able to get $500 for your amp if it's in good condition and then you just have to save about $800 more and then you'll have the dough for a Mark IV.

Another alternative is the Studio Pre rackmount preamp which sells for $300-$450 and is basically a Mark IIC+. Pair that up with a Mesa 50/50 power amp and you'll basically have a Mark IIC+ 100 watt head.

Greg

I bought my MarkIVA at the beginning of the year for $900 so you can still find them for cheap.

Welcome to the club!! The SOB is a sweet amp, not my cup of tea, but perfect for what it does. The IV is a killer beast, but for the choices out there (especially on the used market) I think they are becoming overstated. The IV is one of those amps that is THE amp for some people, but I've been getting tired of mine, doesn't really do it for me anymore.

Latest posts

Back