Hum

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blind Willie

Reaction score
I just bought a used Blue Angel, after trying out a lot of other amps that couldn't match it for a bluesy tone. It's a great sounding amp for me and I got a good price on it.

However, I'm getting a noticeable background hum (not the fan noise), even when the amp isn't cranked up.

I had tried another used Blue Angel and it had the same issue. Before I haul it down to Mesa, I would appreciate any thoughts on whether this an inherent problem for BA's or just me.

Possibly a ground problem, or just a preamp tube going south. I would check the tubes first. Get a replacement tube (that you know is good) and replace the preamp tubes one at a time until you find one that is bad. If the preamp tubes check out, test the power tubes. Good luck.

RB

Could be cables, gutar pickups, emi (elctro-magnetic interference) from pc monitor, lights etc.

i notice that its very sensitive to other electrical devices near it... i plugged mine in the same outlet as my radio and it started buzzing like a bee hive. but if i switch the outlet its fine.

Good tips.

Before switching out the tubes, I'm going to check out the electro-magnetic interference issues.

Thanks for your help.

I still would appreciate any thoughts anyone else may have.

Front-end FX and loop FX sharing a power supply can cause the hum. EMI/RFI is always an issue...computers, TV's, appliances on the same circuit will affect the amp, but even on a different circuit if they are in the room with you, TV's/comp monitors, and flourescent or neon lights will interfere with your guitar.

Back