How to plug my Amp into this Cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question, but....

How can I plug my

.50 Caliber + amp which has 2 X 4ohm Jacks & 1 X 8ohm jack on the back

INTO a

Marshall 1960B which is wired as: http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.krampe-family.de/Bilder/marscabWiring.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.krampe-family.de/html/cabs.htm&usg=__JAKvlkcSlCu8eJ8qPJ5uBfMmEZ8=&h=451&w=565&sz=9&hl=en&start=7&um=1&tbnid=TTZ0K9y66XMN1M:&tbnh=107&tbnw=134&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmarshall%2B1960%2Bcab%2Bphoto%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Ideally, I'd prefer to plug in using my 8ohm jack on my amp, I like playing in 8ohms, but I mean, what options do I actually have that are SAFE?

I assume you mean the cab is wired either 16 ohms mono or 8 ohms per side stereo, with no switch to 4 ohm option.

Either you will have to settle for a mismatch, or for only using two of the speakers in the cabinet. If I were you, I'd connect the 8 ohm tap on the amp to the 16 ohm mono option on the cab. It's a safe mismatch, since the cabinet impedance will be higher than the amp is set for, and will probably not have a huge effect on your tone. It might be a hair darker and slightly less loud, but that's it.

No need to use a mismatched output.Simply use two speaker cables,one from each of the 8ohm stereo jacks to each of the 4ohm outs.When wired like this your two 8ohm loads are paralelled and seen by the amp as 4ohms,which is what the two 4ohm outs are for.

Great info guys, thanks, I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Just outta curiosity then, if I use Stokes method by

"Simply use two speaker cables,one from each of the 8ohm stereo jacks to each of the 4ohm outs.When wired like this your two 8ohm loads are paralelled and seen by the amp as 4ohms,which is what the two 4ohm outs are for."

Will my amp/cab be running at 8 ohms or 4 ohms?

#2121313 said:

"Simply use two speaker cables,one from each of the 8ohm stereo jacks to each of the 4ohm outs.When wired like this your two 8ohm loads are paralelled and seen by the amp as 4ohms,which is what the two 4ohm outs are for."

8 ohms per set of speakers, combined this way(in parallel) will make for a *4 ohm* total load on the amp.

LesPaul666 said:
#2121313 said:

8 ohms per set of speakers, combined this way(in parallel) will make for a *4 ohm* total load on the amp.
...Which will be quite normal, within spec, under warranty, okey-dokey, far out and groovy. And the lion shall roar!

Back