How does the Roadster sound with EL34 tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimpleMind

Reaction score
Finally decided to go for the Roadster which i will order on monday together with a Roadster 2X12 cabinet. I am considering to get me an extra set of tubes namely EL 34 in addition to the 6L6. Has any of you experience how the Roadster sounds with the EL 34 tubes? Stiletto like?

Sorry to say it, but I'm not a believe that a Rectifer can sound like a Stiletto...and isn't tube combinations a feature of the Road King only?

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Sorry to say it, but I'm not a believe that a Rectifer can sound like a Stiletto...and isn't tube combinations a feature of the Road King only?

Nope: This is directley from the Mesa homepage: "Series Effects Loop features a Hard Bypass that removes two tubes and all associated Loop Circuitry from the signal path including the SEND LEVEL, OUTPUT and SOLO controls plus the TUNER OUT for the shortest, most direct signal path. BIAS SELECT reconfigures the bias circuit and allows you to swap the stock compliment of 6L6’s for a quartet of EL 34 type power tubes creating a brighter, Euro-style power character and classic Brit clipability"

By the way thats what the dealer says. Domct123 stated the same here on the Boogie Board. But as i understood there is no agreement if thats true or not.

P.S.: With the last atatement i was referring to the statement that the Roadster can sound almost like the Stiletto but not vice versa.

I meant that the Roadster can not run 6L6s and EL-34s....sure you can swap them all out for the other.

With the Eurotube kits you can run the mix as well as other mixs. One thing thats cool about the Roadster is the 100 watt/50 watt switch which you can run the mix on one channel in 100 watt and run the inside tubes(EL-34s) in 50 watt on another channel.

The EL34's will basically shift some frequencies around, yet leave the amp's natural "Recto" aggression in-tact! You'll notice a shift in mids, up a little, very useable, and a tighter low-end! The high-end gets a little creamier, I guess all of these attributes belonging to amps mostly produced across the pond. What I usually missed with the EL34's was the sizzle of the 6L6's!

jbird said:
The EL34's will basically shift some frequencies around, yet leave the amp's natural "Recto" aggression in-tact! You'll notice a shift in mids, up a little, very useable, and a tighter low-end! The high-end gets a little creamier, I guess all of these attributes belonging to amps mostly produced across the pond. What I usually missed with the EL34's was the sizzle of the 6L6's!
Hei jibird, shift in mids, tighter low end but witht he natural Recto aggression. My salesman says you can get the Stiletto sound witht the Roadster, a lot of you guys here on the Boogie Board disagree. My salesman says its just a mater av dialing and with the El34 tubes maybe?

Like I said earlier, I'd have to disagree....the Roadster, even with EL-34s is still a rectifier....it will not do the sounds that the stiletto is made for. It might get half way there, but if will not do a Stiletto tone.

SimpleMind.. sorry to continually be your wet blanket but I have to disagree with your salesman once more.. the Rectifier series just does not do the Stiletto series and vice versa. You can get a good british crunch out of the rectos, I ran mine with EL34's and even EL84's for over a year and I've owned both a series I and II stiletto and they're just different ballgames my friend.

If you want recto authority w/ british flavor... run your recto on the clean channel and get a marshally overdrive like the MI Audio Crunchbox.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Like I said earlier, I'd have to disagree....the Roadster, even with EL-34s is still a rectifier....it will not do the sounds that the stiletto is made for. It might get half way there, but if will not do a Stiletto tone.
Thanks for answering!! But!! Thats NOT what i want to hear. I will ask this questions as many times as it is necessary to annoy you guys that much that you at last give up and say ok ok, you get that sound from the Roadster too. :lol:

That decision is not as easy as i hoped. Unfortunateley the more you research the more different oppinion one gets to know. So ultimateley its maybe not possible to make THE right decision without hearing the amps on your own. But as i said thats not possible. So i just have to take a chance. Maybe i`ll call Mesa Boogie tomorrow and ask what they suggest.
By the way listened to my Satriani live in San Francisco DVD and Andy Timmons DVD and loved the tone of both. Satriani played a Rack through two 4x12 Marshall cabinets. Didn`t sound nasal as the Peaveys have a tendency to at all. Maybe i should start a poll here and decide thereafter? :roll:

SimpleMind said:
jbird said:
Hei jibird, shift in mids, tighter low end but witht he natural Recto aggression. My salesman says you can get the Stiletto sound witht the Roadster, a lot of you guys here on the Boogie Board disagree. My salesman says its just a mater av dialing and with the El34 tubes maybe?

You are giving that salesman WAY to much credit. He is going to tell you anything to get that sale...its his job. You are getting better advice here, from guys that dont really care what you buy. You are also getting guys that are WAY more likely to know their stuff than a sales dude making a chump change wage (no offense to music store employees)

I had a Roadster at home for a few weeks. I already own a Stiletto. Even with EL34 tubes in the roadster it simply CANNOT sound like a Stiletto. They are different beasts. Channel two on a Roadster is based on teh Stiletto crunch....but it is very different and doesnt really sound or feel like a real stiletto. Channel one is lonestar like and is nothing like a Stiletto...channels 3 and 4 are rectifier and sound NOTHING like a Stiletto.

Now for a simple quesion. If getting a Stiletto is so important to you why dont you just buy one?

Rocky said:
SimpleMind said:
jbird said:

You are giving that salesman WAY to much credit. He is going to tell you anything to get that sale...its his job. You are getting better advice here, from guys that dont really care what you buy. You are also getting guys that are WAY more likely to know their stuff than a sales dude making a chump change wage (no offense to music store employees)

I had a Roadster at home for a few weeks. I already own a Stiletto. Even with EL34 tubes in the roadster it simply CANNOT sound like a Stiletto. They are different beasts. Channel two on a Roadster is based on teh Stiletto crunch....but it is very different and doesnt really sound or feel like a real stiletto. Channel one is lonestar like and is nothing like a Stiletto...channels 3 and 4 are rectifier and sound NOTHING like a Stiletto.

+10000000

We don't stand to make any money off you, just trying to offer our opinions on the topic having owned all the amps in question :D

hey maybe i can help you with that Stiletto tone ,i tried for months and months to get that tone out of my Recto,i tried JJ E34L ,bought a Hot plate thinking maybe that would help get it when playing at home,nothing would get me that Stiletto tone UNTIL I GOT A STILETTO! listen to everyone here they know more than that salesman your dealing with.

Now for a simple quesion. If getting a Stiletto is so important to you why dont you just buy one?[/quote]
Thanks a lot again. I think i have to tell you a little bit more detailed what i want. From the answers to my last posts i do understand these things: A:You can`t get an amp which does it all! B: The Roadster can`t imitate the Stiletto 100%. C: I have to find my sound, that means take the amp which gives me the tone i would like to have. To make a long story short: I am not exactley sure which of these amps will give me the sound i want. Maybe the one amp which gives all those sounds which i would want just doesn`t exist and some mentioned earlier thats the reason why a lot of professionals play 5 or more different amps, as for example Satch: Peavey, Mesa, Cornford. So basically i want an amp which gives me a defined, fat leadsound ( sounding like a violon would be perfect)with a good clean and the option to have a high gain lead as for example Korn or Metallica. But thats maybe wanted too much of just one amp. So thats what i think: JSX Peavey: A lot of positive to say about that amp but a little bit too nasal sounding IMHO. Carvin: Won`t do the High gain stuff+ read some negative critics. MArshall 1987 Reissue (Malmsteen): I wasn`t that impressed of the MArshalls i played so far. Roadster: Does the Loanstar cleans, not quite sure if it does the Loanstar lead sounds ala Timmons? I think it does both Vai and Satch + has the extra "steroide gear" with the channels 3 and 4: Malmsteen: I think i can get that sound with a pod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZrxJMeCxVQ
Stiletto: Fat lead, Clean: ? High gain: Not a rectifier but sureley not the worst choice- but does it Metallica, Korn (if it couldn`t that wouldn`t be so important)?
Regarding the salesman. From the E-mail/ telephone contact i had so far he seems to be a very sympathetic guy. Told me he wa a musician through i think 30 years of his live. Is a major Mesa dealer. So i don`t know why he could have some interest in selling me the Roadster and not the Stiletto if the last was the better choice. One reason could naturally be that he has one in his store and wants to get rid of it. But as i told you he seemed to be a nice guy.

Platypus said:
Rocky said:
SimpleMind said:

+10000000

We don't stand to make any money off you, just trying to offer our opinions on the topic having owned all the amps in question :D

And i am very!! gratefull that you guys help me out here!!! Thanks a lot!

You beat me to it....

The Mark IV sounds like your ticket....great cleans and fat leads....all in one amp. I'm selling my rectifier for one as we speak!

ibanez4life SZ! said:
You beat me to it....

The Mark IV sounds like your ticket....great cleans and fat leads....all in one amp. I'm selling my rectifier for one as we speak!

Hei, how would you describe the difference between the Marc, Rectifier and Stiletto. Or what does the Mark what the others can`t?

The Mark has a stellar clean channel....as the Mark series began as moddified fenders, it still has nearly all those characteristics.

The gain channel is tight, articulate, and very nicely balanced.

Latest posts

Back