How Do YOU Use Your Rectos?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I've had my recto for a little over a month now, and it is killer with the avatar cab! Wow! Just a few things for you guys:

1. With my halfstack, I find the tone changes drastically with your positioning to it......to the side, bass takes over more, while in front of the amp, the sounds is much more trebly and spikey.....does anyone else experience this?

2. My bassist, when transport stuff, hit all my settings out of place....I had my sweet spots, but I'm having a hard time finding them again.....what settings do you guys use on your rectos? Let's make it cranked settings, for gig situations. And also, how you use the channels.....I use 1 for cleans, 2 for a more vintage crunch, and 3 for a heavy distortion.

Just curious on how all you guys choose to use the great versatility the recto has! Thanks for any settings shared!

Hi

I've hade my Dual Recto for about a month too. I'm still learning the ropes as far as this amp and tube amps in general go so have mercy if my settings make you cringe :D ...but for the time being I mainly play the following through 2 recto standards:

Ch 3 / modern - FX loop in footswitch mode
Presence 10:00
Master noon
Gain 3:00
Bass 10:00
Mids 9:30
Treb Noon to 3:00 (depends on the sound i'm after)

I'm messing around with Ch 2 for soloing and getting some fairly decent Dave Murray live after death era type solo sounds...nothing to write home about, but not bad either.

I run the cleans through a dual reverb for the time being.

And yes, I've experienced the same "tone changes" that you have which i'm guessing is just a ...speaker thing...(sorry, didn't mean to get technical there), so, to help, I took the back casters off my cabinets and let them tilt back. Then I positioned each in its own corner of the room and it sounds pretty decent.

-Wrake

I've adjusted my tone for micing purposes, thus the reason I like to sit right at speaker level when practicing at home, mavbe three to four feet away! Honestly, I've never really liked the sound of my Recto 4/12 cab any other way but directly in-front! A two channel Dual Rec, always Tube Rectification (GZ34's), always Bold Variac, Mesa 6L6's! Red channel (2), set to Modern: Gain=2:00, Treble=1:00, Mid=10:30, Bass=12:00, Presence=9:30. Orange channel (1), cloned to Modern, Clean : Gain=11:00, Treble=2:00, Mids=9:00, Bass=11:00, Presence=2:00. I actually don't spend too much time on the Clean channel, rather rolling the guitar volume of a PRS and opting for a single coil option! So depending on the gig, I could set my 1st Orange channel up for another High Gain setting for soloing! Oh the caveats of a two channel Dual Rec! :lol: But **** they sound good! :twisted:

Fun post!!!!

I use mine to keep my house from blowing away in a tornado since it weighs more than my house!!

I use mine in my BRAND NEW band!! Yep, I'm in a new band and I think it'll be much better!! I kept my lead singer and we're starting over and going to do more originals, but keep the 80s, 90s and modern rock format with some country thrown it and some country and country-rock originals. The Road King combo is the perfect amp and has every tone I could possibley need (with a little help from a Tubescreamer).

Thats how I use mine, mainly with Telecasters now (and an occasional Wolfgang). :wink:

the sound does change as you move around. i use 1 for clean, lots of presence to make it chime, 2 mainly on vintage setting, tho i really enjoy the modern on that channel. a lot warmer, and 3 is the obvious.

My favorite settings are Bold And Diodes with:
Presence:12-1
Gain12
Bass12
mid1130 (tho you can scoop these a little more)
Treble 1

In my opinion tho, the recto will sound good with any setting once you crank it!

I put all the EQ knobs on 12:00 and tweek from there.

Also, when tweeking I try to stand atleast 20ft away from my cab so I can get a realistic idea of what my cab actually sounds like.

I agree, the recto sweet spot is in the EQ range of 10-2 o'clock. I put my mids on 10, bass at about 12:30, and Treble at 1:30. I use an a/b/y pedal (Tonebone JX2 Switchbone - by far the best a/b/y pedal Ive used, pricey though at $229 but compared to other a/b/y's with ground loop issues and tone coloration I think its worth it) to link my DSL50 and Single rec. I run my Mesa through a 2x12 recto cab, and the Marshall through a Marshall 2x12 1936 cab. The recto cab has v30s, while the 1936 has dual g12-t75s - these speaker compliment each other perfectly. The only thing I use is a Boss NS-2 on the marshall, and I have a Wylde wah running after the a/b/y so I can use it on both amps.

Latest posts

Back