How do you guys stand these fans?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLattack

Reaction score
The fan in my Mark III is SO LOUD. To the point I'm thinking about turning it off and flipping it upside down in the rack. It can't need THAT much airflow.

I have to listen very intently with my ears a foot or two away, even when not playing, to notice that my Mark IV even has a fan.

Get yourself a new fan. I can't hear mine unless I'm looking for it!

Does anyone have a pic of their fan so I can get one like your 'quiet' ones? :lol:

I always thought mine was abnormally loud.

call Mesa parts. They all are "Howard" (i think...haha) fans BUT they have different amp ratings. Some are louder than others. My stuff is all quiet. I think you got a bum fan. I think they are only 19.95 list price. Call it's a real easy thing. If you get an answering machine they'll call you back for sure. (use EXTENSION NUMBER 324) They race on Fridays though so your call may not get returned until Monday. Some of the crew is there Fridays. It's up to you now.....

If seems you have an export amp, and the socket oulet is 230V, then the fan is very noisy.
Why?
Because mesa amps comes with 117 Volt fans, and they run on 230V, which is too much Voltage.
I had to replace the fan in my fifty/fifty, because it broke. My C+ and my IV still have the original 117 Volts, but I will replace them soon.

tony777 said:
If seems you have an export amp, and the socket oulet is 230V, then the fan is very noisy.
Why?
Because mesa amps comes with 117Volt fans, and they run on 230V, and then they are very noisy.
I had to replace the fan in my fifty/fifty, because it burnt, my C+ and my IV still have the original 117Volts, but I will replace them soon.

I didn't notice that. You catch everything! hahaha well maybe they can sell him "something" to do it up right...they built it!

For a quieter fan, you can get a 220 fan and run it in a 120 volt amp - half the RPM, half the noise. Also, half the cooling.
Another idea: join a band. There's no way you are hearing that fan in a band situation, with a drummer, etc.

Sorry, incorrect. This response from Marcus Daniel at Mesa/Boogie:

"The fan will not need to be replaced, the fan and the pilot lamp get 117 volts across the neutral and the 117 volt taps."

This is regarding my question which was:

"Is it possible to rewire the transformer to 230 volts or will I have to buy a new one to run it without going through a step-down transformer? And if I rewire/replace the transformer then do I need to purchase a new fan? (as the current one is 115vac)"

So you CAN run a 115vac fan off a 230v amp.

robredo_mattila said:

"The fan will not need to be replaced, the fan and the pilot lamp get 117 volts across the neutral and the 117 volt taps."

"Is it possible to rewire the transformer to 230 volts or will I have to buy a new one to run it without going through a step-down transformer? And if I rewire/replace the transformer then do I need to purchase a new fan? (as the current one is 115vac)"

Not clear to me, but does he mean that you can connect the pilot lamp and the fan in series for the export amp?

tony777 said:
robredo_mattila said:

Not clear to me, but does he mean that you can connect the pilot lamp and the fan in series for the export amp?

It simply means that both the pilot lamp and the fan (which both run on 117 volts) are still getting the proper voltage because all export trannies have taps for all voltages. So their power is coming off a separate tap. That's atleast the way I understood it.

I love that tweed power on the Mark IV also lowers the power to the fan...can barely hear it.

I believe that this is the one that Boogie currently uses. VERY quiet fan. You can even use the power cord from your old Howard fan. 8)

http://docs-alliedelec.electrocomponents.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?SKU=9650216&MPN=A47-B15A-15T3-100&R=9650216&SEARCH=9650216&DESC=A47-B15A-15T3-100

Octavarius said:
It simply means that both the pilot lamp and the fan (which both run on 117 volts) are still getting the proper voltage because all export trannies have taps for all voltages. So their power is coming off a separate tap. That's atleast the way I understood it.
I doubt it, because the different taps are for input voltages. And if you would run the export transformer at 117 Volts, the fan and pilot lamp will get about 57 Volts, and I don't think they do, anyway I will check with a voltmeter when I get back to my amp. For about two weeks though.

Latest posts

Back