How different do the extension cabinet models sound?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeezerToo

Reaction score
I’ve been looking into buying a Mesa 20/20 amp with two Mesa 1x12’ extension cabinets. The cabinets come in several configurations; Compact, Thiele, 3/4, Stiletto, and Rectifier. I was thinking about buying two Rectifier cabinets with Vintage Celestions but I’m concerned it may be too heavy a sound. I’m looking for a contemporary Nashville sound (from Dan Huff to Brad Paisley) and currently play through my Boss GT-8 into two amps, a Fender Princeton, and a Blues Junior placed about 8 feet apart onstage in stereo. The Blues Junior is 3/4 open back cabinet, The Princeton is open back. Together between the amplifier and the cabinet it’s just too bright for me. I love the sound of the tubes, but I’m really adding a lot of EQ on my GT-8 to tone down the top end, not to mention the Fender signature amp sound.

Does anyone have experience with these various different cabinets? I definitely don’t want a heavy metal bottom end, but don’t want the ice picks to the ears brightness that I have right now. Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back