how about the half power switch?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dearlpitts

Reaction score
so i have a 100 watt purple stripe and it has a half power switch-does anyone know when to use ethier one for what situation as i can not tell any difference at all.? also any sugestions on best pedal reverb for the mkiii purple stripe as mine has no reverb?thanx in advance and thanks to all for all the help so far ,you guys really have taught me stuff i would not have known without your help-shoot i might still think i have a ii B if you did/nt tell me.

The half power switch is not going to make a huge difference in volume but rather in tube compression. Basically if you want more tube compression at a lower volume then use the half power. It will also sound better at lower volume. To give you an idea, on my 2:90 if i don't use the half power i have to crank it up past 12:00 to get it to start sounding tubey creamy but with half power i can start getting that at about 9:00. As such i can play at lower volumes and still get that tubey creaminess for small gigs, which is all i ever play. But at full crank the difference in volume is not that much. Both are still frighteningly loud. Hope that helps a bit

Peace,
Joshua

ya thanx-kinda figured that-guess i just have/nt had a chance to really turn her up as the same week i got this amp our bass player left for a month and i/ve been feelin in till he gets back-which is monday yay-heres another? since i may not have a chance to practice with band before our first gig-any suggestions on amp settings-we play classic rock and will be outside at a fair.5 piece band-other guitar player uses a peavey classic 50 with a 2x12 cab.

The half power switch may also be going from Simul Class to Class A.

Most if not all widebody Mark heads are labeled Half Power versus Simul/ Class A regardless of which it is.
The only way to tell is to pull your chassis and see what Output Tranny you have.

For your Mark III if it says "Simul" (and/ or has 562003 on it) you'll know for sure what that half power switch is doing.

You could also look at the black the magic marker letters on the side of the chassis :
DR = Simul-Class/ Reverb
DRG = Simul/EQ/Reverb

Most MkIII's made were Simul Class, I'm betting you have a Simul Output Tranny in there.
If it's a hundred watt (100/60) you'll see an "H" on the side of the chassis (along with it having a different OT).

gts said:
The half power switch may also be going from Simul Class to Class A.

Most if not all widebody Mark heads are labeled Half Power versus Simul/ Class A regardless of which it is.
The only way to tell is to pull your chassis and see what Output Tranny you have.

For your Mark III if it says "Simul" (and/ or has 562003 on it) you'll know for sure what that half power switch is doing.

You could also look at the black the magic marker letters on the side of the chassis :
DR = Simul-Class/ Reverb
DRG = Simul/EQ/Reverb

Most MkIII's made were Simul Class, I'm betting you have a Simul Output Tranny in there.
If it's a hundred watt (100/60) you'll see an "H" on the side of the chassis (along with it having a different OT).
any of these markings mean anything or do i have to take it completly out?
mesaboogie009.jpg

If you can see the writing/ numbers on the Transformer behind the power tubes you wont have to take the chassis out.

You might have to take a couple of the power tubes out to see the writing/ numbers.

To see the magic marker letters on the side of the chassis you'll have to take it out.

cool thanx-i took the back off the bottom speaker its a ev speaker and the whole inside is insulated-big time-is that how they came?

dearlpitts said:
cool thanx-i took the back off the bottom speaker its a ev speaker and the whole inside is insulated-big time-is that how they came?

Now that you have posted pics of the cab.
Yes that's how they came (meaning the bottom was insulated - the EV was one of a few speakers options that could have come with them).
Fwiw you have an old style metal grille 2x12 vertical halfback. Great cab!

mesaboogie014.jpg

cool thanks ya i love it-no problems hearing myself-and we have a loud band-we/re playing a out door festival tommorow -the mkii first time out

I have 2 of the black tolex versions of that cab. Great stuff. And that looks killer in cream. 8)

Back