hotplate mismatch

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dag

Reaction score
Hey guys,

A quick question:
I bought a thd hotplate 16 ohms today for my marshall plexi.
Now i'm still waiting on my basketcab, but can i safely mismatch my hotplate on my mesa-cab?

If i turn my plexi on 8 ohms > 16 ohms hotplate > 8 ohm mesa cab

Would that work? i know i'll lose some tone, but it's just for a couple weeks max.

thanks
Dag

I got an info leaflet with my Hotplate. One of the FAQ's is :

"If I am using just one speaker cabinet, can I still use the Hotplate if it has a different impedance than my speaker cabinet?"
ONLY if the impedance of the speakers is equal to or greater than the amplifier, AND the impedance of the Hotplate is equal to or greater than the amp.

So 8ohm's into 16ohm's into 8ohm's looks like it follows the above info.

The speakers are equal to the amp and the hotplate is greater than the amp.

At least that's the way I see it.

From the manual:

'IMPORTANT: WHEN USING JUST ONE OF THE SPEAKER OUTPUTS FROM THE HOT
PLATE, THE SPEAKER CABINET SHOULD HAVE THE SAME IMPEDANCE AS THE
HOT PLATE.'

Your speaker is not the same impedence as the hotplate. Don't do it.

I have been using 8~16~8 for years do it with out worrying. The tone is just a little different than 8~8~8. You can do 4~16~4 but the tone well be off and you well need to EQ more.

When I use mine I fine tuner (EQ) the amp to the setting on the Hot Plate I put the deep switch on almost all the time and the bright off. -16 and load is the only setting I use the bright switch and do not use it there most of the time.

Make sure you try the line out with the load on going to a other amp. ( the deep and bright work back wards in the line out) This gives a lot of control of the sound. Into the effects loop of my Mark IV this way I can use the 5 band EQ. Sometimes I blend the "master amp" with the "slave". Via the settings on the Hotplate.

email or call THD if you do not believe me. They have great customer service.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the responces! I sended an email to THD to dubble check
My amps are holy!
I'll post their answer for everyone else who needs advice

Dag

Yes, that will work fine as long as you set the head's impedance to 8 ohm.

This is what ed Degenaro sended me!

It is hard to find a better more honest guy in the in the guitar world than Ed. I have known Andy Marshall since before THD was around. All there stuff is great tools for guitar players.

You need to check out the amps if you have not yet.

http://www.thdelectronics.com/

Latest posts

Back