hot plate and dual rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotlod

Reaction score
Anybody use the thd hot plate with their dual rec, or have used one in the past?
What are or were your opinions.

Yes. I rely on them heavily and think they're worth every dime I spent on them.

They kinda crush your tone when used at -16db and below, but so does turning down your amp. When used in moderation (-4db or -8db) they don't affect your tone than much, and certianly less than turning your amp down does.

Power tube saturation, at less than ear bleed levels.....definatly worth it to me.

I use HotPlates with my Nomad 100 and my Blue Angel, and used one in the past with a DC-5. The -16db tone squashing isn't too bad if you're willing to tweak your EQs a bit. There's no way I could ever play at home without them.

I don't own a dual rec, but at least I own a single. I think the hot plate is good, but not that good that I can't live without it. I don't know, maybe it's the 6L6 tubes that doesn't break up as el34 does.

One thing I noticed: When using the hot plate with 12db and 16 db settings and cranking the amp to its nearest fullest, there is an audible kind of "flanger" effect to the powertube distortion. Why is that? Bad bias?

Currently I use mine at 8db, combining some powertube breakup with preamp distortion. My clean channel really sparkles and can maintain perfectly clear. That strikes me a bit weird.

Is it the global output or the channel master you use to crank, or even both?

Demon Cleaner said:
Is it the global output or the channel master you use to crank, or even both?

I don't know what other people do, but I run the channel master at aboutn 12:00 (it's as high as I can put it before the effects I have in the loop start to distort), then I run the master volumes at 13:00 (master) and 16:00 (solo).

That might explain the flanging effect that I hear. I run a delay pedal through my loop.

but if not, I don't have a clue why it sounds like that. Must be crossover distortion I guess.

I like this thread :D

Latest posts

Back