Hopefully ordering my Mark IV tomorrow.......long or short ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stompboxfreak72

Reaction score
I got a call from local GC staffer stating that Mesa had three Mark Iv's available. When I got around to calling back it turned out that they are the 1x12 combo version. I have been wanting the head since I already have two 2x12 mesa cabs as well as a 4x 12 mesa cab. Plus I read that the combo weighs more than most third world countries so that is a deterrent.

GC is going to call Mesa tomorrow for me about availabilty of Mark IV heads. I know that there will be a wait time I just want to know what it is.

My only real dilemma is long head vs short head. I realize the short head can be converted into the combo but currently that is not something I am looking for. What differences lie beyond this ? I am assuming shared tone controls on channels and altered design as to what is on the back of the amp but I do not know for sure.

Any input would help me with my order. Thank you !

The only thing that is different is that the harmonics/midgain and EQ rockers are on the back of the amp.. no other change to the controls on the front panel.

They also can both be converted to a combo as there is a widebody combo option.

I would go for the long head simply because it won't look dwarfed on top of your cabinets and changing options is a pain in the *** when the controls are on the back.

Excellent. That's about what I thought.........

How does the Mark IV sound through the 2x12 mesa cabs ? I also have the 4x12 but never use it.

One down side to the long/medium head is that it is too long to sit on top of a 1x12 speaker cab such as a thiele. Kind of a minor point but worth mentioning. Also the short head can be rack mounted with an adaptor while the long/medium head cannot. The electronics between the two are identical as Platypus pointed out.

I don't have a 2x12 but through my 4x12 it sounds HUGE. I can run my 4x12 as a stero 2x12 and using it as a 2x12 it also sounds HUGE. Really a thing of beauty. You will be in heaven.

My biggest reason for going short was to get the rackmount. I'm over the idea that my head has to be pretty and not having to worry about ripped tolex anymore is worth its weight in gold.

stompboxfreak72 said:
Excellent. That's about what I thought.........

How does the Mark IV sound through the 2x12 mesa cabs ? I also have the 4x12 but never use it.

I sometimes run mine through my Recto 2 x 12. It does sound different. Has that closed back woody type sound. It really does add yet another dimension to an amp that is already ultra versatile.

brianf

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the short heads get more money on the used market than the long ones. Don't ask me why.

When I was looking for mine, I noticed that the short heads and combos went for a couple hundred more than the long ones. Could be just coincidence though.

Latest posts

Back