hooking 2x12 8 ohm cabinet into 4 ohm output

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kreatorkills

Reaction score
i tried hooking my 2x12 8 ohm cabinet into 4 ohm output on my mark v just for the heck of it and it sounds pretty good. i was wondering if it will hurt anything and what effect will it have on tubes, etc. and what is it actually doing to change the sound. thanks.

The 4 Ohm output is capable of driving more current than the 8 Ohm output. It will give more low-end than the 8-Ohm output. It will also present a different load to the tubes (2X what the transformer was designed for) so the tubes will run colder.

It will not damage anything.

elvis said:
The 4 Ohm output is capable of driving more current than the 8 Ohm output. It will give more low-end than the 8-Ohm output. It will also present a different load to the tubes (2X what the transformer was designed for) so the tubes will run colder.

It will not damage anything.

Thanks Elvis.
I'm running el34's so they do seem like there running a little cooler and tighter, almost like a cross between 6l6's and el34's.
You said 2X what the transformer was designed for but that it won't damage it? Even at high volume and gain?

Check the manual: http://www.mesaboogie.com/media/User%20Manuals/MkV_140612.pdf

Page 55, figure 3. 8 Ohm load from the 4 Ohm jack is a safe mismatch.

Most amps can handle a mismatch one step in either direction without issue. Running a higher impedance load runs the output transformer harder and is easier on the tubes, and running a lower impedance load will run your tubes hotter. Some amps might be more sensitive to mismatches (or a smaller output transformer might pose more of a concern), but the manual even specifies that the Mark V isn't very sensitive to mismatches and should be fine.

Back