High pitched squeal in a MKIII??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psyence88

Reaction score
Hey there, I just obtained a '86 MKIII Blue stripe combo with Simulclass, reverb, EQ... etc... and I have to say it's pretty nice. Though when I went to crank it, I ended up getting this really, really loud high pitched squeal, I isolated the issue and it was completely from the amp(no guitar or cords or anything plugged in) I'm assuming the tubes are microphonic because I tapped the top of the amp and I could hear it being amplified. Thing is, I just re-tubed all the preamp tubes, so I'm guessing it could be the poweramp tubes? There is a good bit of hum going on as well, when the lead gain is brought up to around 8 or 10... There are some audible artifacts, I'm not sure how to describe it really, but they are there.

Also, can anyone recommend me a really good tube setup for some crushing metal tones? I bought a set of mesa boogie 12ax7s, they sound great but they sound a bit loose to me, any recommendations?

Psyence88 said:
Hey there, I just obtained a '86 MKIII Blue stripe combo with Simulclass, reverb, EQ... etc... and I have to say it's pretty nice. Though when I went to crank it, I ended up getting this really, really loud high pitched squeal, I isolated the issue and it was completely from the amp(no guitar or cords or anything plugged in) I'm assuming the tubes are microphonic because I tapped the top of the amp and I could hear it being amplified. Thing is, I just re-tubed all the preamp tubes, so I'm guessing it could be the poweramp tubes? There is a good bit of hum going on as well, when the lead gain is brought up to around 8 or 10... There are some audible artifacts, I'm not sure how to describe it really, but they are there.

Also, can anyone recommend me a really good tube setup for some crushing metal tones? I bought a set of mesa boogie 12ax7s, they sound great but they sound a bit loose to me, any recommendations?

Any of the following controls: Volume, Treble, Master, Lead Drive, Lead Master, and Presence run at 8 or above simultaneously can lead to squealing, 'specially if any Pull Brights are also engaged. It's normal, normally. Try running it like this: Volume @ 10, Treble @ 7 (Pulled), Bass @ 2 (Pulled), Middle @ 7, Lead Gain @ 6, Lead Master @ 5, Master @ 5 (Pulled), Graphic in the classic "V", Presence @ 5. If this ain't metal (or loud) enuff, you need a Rectumfrier.

MrMarkIII said:
Psyence88 said:

Any of the following controls: Volume, Treble, Master, Lead Drive, Lead Master, and Presence run at 8 or above simultaneously can lead to squealing, 'specially if any Pull Brights are also engaged. It's normal, normally. Try running it like this: Volume @ 10, Treble @ 7 (Pulled), Bass @ 2 (Pulled), Middle @ 7, Lead Gain @ 6, Lead Master @ 5, Master @ 5 (Pulled), Graphic in the classic "V", Presence @ 5. If this ain't metal (or loud) enuff, you need a Rectumfrier.

Very nice! Thank you, I will try this tomorrow when theres nobody home. Ha! Rectumfrier, hahaha... I think this could be the culprit because when I bring the EQ slider on the treble side all the way down it goes away, but as it gets louder it comes back, but when I bring down the next slider, it goes away... etc...

I'm not looking for anything extreme, just good metal, perhaps as crunchy as Petrucci's tone on Images and Words.

Latest posts

Back