HELP??!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbelovedx

Reaction score
im new to the rack use and mesa heads but yet ive always felt like ive known the dual rec just from wanting one and playing through one at guitar center ever since i was a kid since i could never afford it. i now have one along with a ton of rack gear and cant seem to get my connections right. i wanting to use all of my rack gear to its fullest potential and also hook everything up through the effects loop.

i have a mesa dual rec with a 4x12 matching cab

my rack

monster pro 2500 power conditioner
sennheiser ew 172 g2
dbx 166xl compressor/gate/limiter
bbe 482ii sonic maximizer
korg dtr2
dbr 131 eq (which i dont even know the best way to use it)

in that order in my rack.

like i said i know theres some talk about running digital into analog and then back into digital so i guess im needing to run them differently.
also how do i go about putting them in the fx loop correctly. i feel like such an idiot but im really not getting the sound i know i can get from this. please help

thanks.

dave

I'd do it like this:
Wireless -> DR input
DR FX send -> sonic maximizer -> EQ -> FX Return
DR speaker out -> cab

Unless you have a way of switching the compressor on and off [like with the clean channel only a GCX or something] I'd leave it out. I'm not a big compressor+dirty channel guy. I'd even start by leaving out the EQ and seeing if you can get what you want without it. Then run the tuner off one of your random outputs, keeping it out of the signal chain.

-dave

I understand what you're saying kinda but I'm using the dbr 166xl as a gate mostly. I will look at make sure things are ran like that then I will let you know if things have been taken care of correctly. There's a bit of a hum when I'm not playing so that's my main concern for getting things routed correctly.

well things seem to work out great but im not to fond of the dbx 166xl yet since i just got it so im gunna have to twiddle with it and figure out how it works. thank you for your help though cause it got rid of the hum that ive been hating.

If you're just using the dbx as a gate and not as a compressor, make sure you have the compressor part of it turned off, or it's gonna sound real funky. [like turn the compressor ratio all the way down and the threshold all the way up] As a gate I'd put it right before the FX return to the amp, gating all the noise from the preamp and outboard gear.

-dave

thanks man youve been a reeeeally good help. im still confused on how the 166 works. i had the 266 project 1 and it was pretty simple but ive only had it for a few days so i just need to play with it more.

Latest posts

Back