Help with the Strengths of a Lonestar or LS Special

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe187

Reaction score
Hi,

I am getting rid of my rack rig. I bought a 2x12 Roadster a while back and it is doing everything I want for a gigging amp. I no longer want the 2:Fifty power amp, Prophesy pre-amp, and 2 2x12 Recto cabs. I don't want to hump it around, and now the Roadster gives me all of the high gain and much of the other clean stuff I need. Time to downsize.

So if I dump the above gear I should come out with $1500 or more. If I throw in some of my own scratch I can get either a Lonestar or a Lonestar Special. I am not sure I understand the difference, nor what the real appeal of these amps are. Anybody out there who can compare them to a Roadster or maybe other boutique combos like a Shiva or Chieftan? I've got the high gain covered, I want some sweeter creamier smoother 335 Larry Carlton tones and cleans to die for. What would you suggest?

BTW I am in the Bay Area. Anybody interested in the 2:Fifty (never left my bedroom, brand new JJ's in it) or two exceptional 2x12 recto cabs (one has Mesa removeable casters on it) or the Prophesy lets talk. PM me.

Joe

First off, welcome to the board!

The preamp of the clean channels in your Roadster are largely based on the Lonestar series, and therefore cover a lot of the same territory.

The Lonestar series forte is they have one of the most 3-D, beautiful clean tones around that break up smoothly with gain----perfect for jazz, blues, classic rock and hardrock.

The big difference between the two Lonestars is the power section. The Classic runs 4 tubes 6L6 and can run in 100, 50, or 10 watts. The Special runs 2 EL84 tubes and can run in 30, 15, or 5 watts.

The power section imparts its own sonic character to the Lonestar tone. The LSC has more of a Fender clean quality (huge headroom, thick juicy bottom end, sparkling highs). The LSS has more of a Vox-like feel with a jangly high end, pronounced mids, less bottom end, and a very dynamic response. Both are excellent it really just comes down to personal preference. (I don't have experience with Bogner or Matchless to offer a comparative opinion.)

Since your Roadster runs 6L6 tubes already, I think that the LS Special would offer you more varied sounds. However, I would STRONGLY suggest you seek one out to demo, because you may find that you can coax a lot of the goods of the Lonestars out of your Roadster with the right settings, cabs, pedals, etc, and save some $ in the process.

I'm in exactly the same boat. I just sold my 50/50, Studio Pre, and 2 single 1x12 cabs on Ebay and I'm just waiting for the $1500.00 to clear Paypal.
I checked out the LSS and LSC. I thought they were great sounding and a lot less to lug around. Then I read the reviews on the Express 5:50 and tried it out and fell in love.
I first thought I would get LSS, but the fact that it was only 30 watts still concerns me that it won't have enough clean headroom in a full band situation. Obviously not a problem with the LSC 50 or 100 watts.
If they made the LSS in a 50 watt, I think I would go for that. But you owe it yourself to check out the Express. They're getting great reviews and they sound killer.

Just my $.02

pusher

Guys,

Thanks for the great feedback. If the Roadster gets similar clean tones to the lonestar, then maybe i should work on developing the cleans on he Roadster. Anybody have any suggestions or recommended settings? I would like to get a nice Fender Twin sound

I like the idea of the 5/50 watt Express. Do they make it in a 2x12?

I had heard there was some talk of a Mark IV having a low wattage option. Any word on that?

Thanks everyone - I apprecitr the help!

Joe

Can anyone give a comparison between the LSS and the 5:50? I know the output tubes are different and it is probably better to compare the LSS to the 5:25 but I dont want a 10" speaker.

Are they tonaly similar? Or are just the clean channels similar?

Pusher....did you buy a 5:50 or a LS?

I had every intention of picking one up today (Father's Day and all) but when I called down there, they were out of them. The 'dude' at GC put one on order for me.

I have to admit that had I gone down there, I had every intention of playing the LSC and the Express 5:50 side by side one more time. Why not?

It's not a replacement for hearing/feeling it in a gig situation, but they do have a 30 day return policy there.

2 weeks to get one in, but I checked Boogie's site and will call other dealers in the area. When I get one, I will post a review if I have anything usefull to say.

pusher

I cant find a 2007 LSC to try out anywhere near me. I would love to find a 5:50/LSS/LSC in the same store and try them all. That seems unlikely though :(

Uh, GC had them all on my first visit. I called a couple smaller shops and they generally only have one of each, if that.

I'm headed down to a shop this weekend that's about 40 minutes away. They said on Monday that they have all three for me to try. Hope they're still there on Saturday.

Latest posts

Back