Help with repair of Road ready thiele cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disassembled

Reaction score
I just bought a Road Ready Thiele and it had casters, which I thought were factory, but turns out whoever put them on did a real bad job.

There are quite a few extra holes drilled into the bottom of the cab that go all the way through and I wanted to patch these up using some dowel as a filler. I removed the road ready laminate/veneer since it was pretty screwed up from the drilling and was wondering if it's possible to get the same type of material to reapply to the bottom of the cab.

I briefly searched but I am not exactly sure what I am looking for as far as key terms and would like some input.

This weekend I will remove the glue and sand down the bottom surface. I retolexed a head before so this seems like it would be a snap to glue on a piece of veneer/laminate to fit the bottom panel. Is what I need sold seperately? I assume I can use DAP contact or similar to apply the veneer. Any tips?

Any help will be appreciated.

Greg

I found this case manufacturer:

http://www.atomiccaseworks.com/material_selection.htm

This is basically what I need right? ABS Laminate (i want black to match the rest of the cab.

Any thoughts?

Greg

Check this place out also...
http://www.reliablehardware.com/shoppingcart/items/category/laminate/1

How big are the holes that are bored through the cabinet? If they are 1/4" or bigger I think glued dowels is the way to go. You could also tape one side and pour epoxy into the holes and let that cure which I would do if I was NOT re tolexing but since you will be down to the bare wood, dowels would be the way to go. Any smaller holes you can use any non shrinking wood filler or silicone.

trickyrick said:
Check this place out also...
http://www.reliablehardware.com/shoppingcart/items/category/laminate/1

How big are the holes that are bored through the cabinet? If they are 1/4" or bigger I think glued dowels is the way to go. You could also tape one side and pour epoxy into the holes and let that cure which I would do if I was NOT re tolexing but since you will be down to the bare wood, dowels would be the way to go. Any smaller holes you can use any non shrinking wood filler or silicone.

DUDE THANKS!!!! This is exactly what I need (I hope anyway) as long as they ship to APO addresses. I plan to use dowel to fill in the 10+ holes drilled by the person that installed the casters. Some of the holes were drilled twice right next to each other so I might just have to drill a single big hole to fill it squarely with a single dowel.

It shouldn't be too bad and since it is on the bottom noone will notice the new laminate vs the original.

In the future I would like to add detachable casters but for right now I think I am just going to stick with rubber feet.

Greg

i would seriously consider the epoxy suggestion that rick put out. it would be much easier than the dowels. another suggestion. test the laminate with the epoxy you're going to use and make sure that the two don't interact (the epoxy doesn't eat through or discolor the laminate. use a small scrap for testing.) if they play well together, put the laminate back on and then fill the holes from the inside with the cab sitting upright. wait for it to dry and done. that's probably what i would do. for small holes, my filler of choice is bondo.

Is epoxy drillable? I might eventually install casters but use the removable type. That's the main reason I want to go with dowel.

Greg

it is drillable, but i wouldn't use wood screws onto it if i were you. it would probably hold, but i wouldn't quite trust it in that application. i would be fine with it if you used tee nuts or hurricane nuts. i would reccommend this route anyway, dowels or no. or you could bolt them. actually i probably wouldn't put castors on a cab that low to the ground. they might get in the way of the hand truck i was using to haul them.

yeah i would skip the castor idea.
come on, its a 1x12!
to me, thieles and recto 2x12's are afaid of heights.
they need to be directly on the ground to sound their best.

I am just going for convenience here :) Some great ideas thanks guys. I will post some pics later and let you know what I decide.

Greg

Latest posts

Back