HELP WITH HIGH GAIN AMP SWITCHER!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalblitz84

Reaction score
Hey guys! I have the Mesa amp switcher on order and I'll be using it with a Mark IV and a .50+. I don't know much about it other than it can quietly switch up to 4 amps. I'm pretty sure it doesn't come with a footswitch of any sort and from what I've read and seen it's midi controlled. Does anybody have any advice on the EASIEST and CHEAPEST way to switch between my two heads with this? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here ya go:

ampswitcherJPG.jpg

You can use any latching footswitch to select which amps are on. To toggle between them, you'd have to program a midi switcher (e.g. Axess Electronics CFX4) and switch between programs where on amp is on and the other is off.

:D

Two questions. First, it won't be a problem since I'm switching between two heads and not digital preamps, and second, will any midi foot controller due, or do I need to get a specific kind, and how do I set it up and use it? Thanks!

It doesn't matter what you're switching, the loops behave the same. No matter if it is digital preamps or heads you're switching. And actually, when you're going to switch between the heads, it will be the preamp sections you'll be switching. Unless you're going to use the slave outs into an external poweramp.

You put the amplifier sends into the amp inputs and put the effect sends from the amps (or slave outs, depending on what you want to do) back into the amplifier returns. Then, you get a combined mono output which you can either put into the power section (effects return) of one of the amps (or both, with a Y-splitter cable) using the effects send as a preamp out, or use the slave out or effects send and put the combined mono signal into an external poweramp.

Thing is, that the amp switcher uses latching tip-to-ground relays where each one of them activates a loop. You'll have to use a tip-to-ground switcher to select the amps. Like the one in my previous post. Some midi-footcontrollers do have the switching relays, though. Like the Behringer FCB1010. You simply plug normal guitar leads between the relay output and the Amplifier Select jacks on the Amp Switcher and use the controller to select which amps are on. Again, to toggle between two amps, you'll have to program the controller to switch between programs where one amp is on and the other one if off. Otherwise, when you press on the amp you want to turn on, the previous one will still stay on as well, and you'll get the sound of your two amps at once. (which can also be a cool thing, btw :D )

Thanks for your help. I'm still really new with midi, I've never used it before. I looked at the Behringer FCB1010 and it looked good but it didn't say anything about being tip-to-ground. Would it say that or is that just a standard in midi controllers? Also, could you give me a list of other possible switches I can use. Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure, no prob. :D

They're sometimes referred to as switching relays, or just relays. Check the manual and look at the back panel descriptions. It's not really a standard. Midi controllers are always operating in midi, but they sometimes have extra relays for switching functions like that. These are the same type of switches that control the external switching jacks found on the back of your Mark IV, for instance.

The Axess Electronics CFX4 is a stand-alone relay/tip-to-ground switcher, though. So you must have a midi controller to control it. It's like this: you program the CFX4 in programs where you specify which relays are on and off. Then you use a midi controller to control that again by sending program messages to the CFX4. It sounds complicated but I suggest that you read more about midi in the Axess Electronics FX1 manual. They have great basic explanations to how stuff like that works. There are really millions of ways to do this.

Other stuff you could check out:

Midi controllers:
- Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
- Axess Electronics FX1
- Behringer FCB1010
- Rocktron Midimate

Relay switchers:
- Axess Electronics CFX4
- Engl Z-11
- Amp Gizmo
Try companies such as SoundSculpture and Custom Audio Electronics as well.

That's all I could think of right now. Some of the midi controllers I listed above may have built in switching relays like the Behringer.

So, the Behringer FCB1010 is a midi controller AND a relay switcher?
Money is tight right now and I just need the most basic cheapest way of doing this. Anything that falls under those categories will be fine. Thanks again!!

Yes, well it's a midi controller with additional relays. There only are two of them, though. Not four or eight like on some of the units I mentioned above. That's why you'd need a separate switcher with more relays for bigger rigs, etc.

Also, I'd like to add the Voodoo Lab GCX to the list. It has eight audio loops for pedals and effect processors that can also be used as relays. It's really a great solution for practically everything along with the Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro. And they're not expensive at all, and very good quality for the money. Check'em out:

http://www.voodoolab.com/gcx.htm
http://www.voodoolab.com/gcontrolpro.htm

Look at the user manual for more info on the relay switching, etc.
:D

Hope this helps! :) Good luck! 8)

Latest posts

Back