HELP PLEASE??? Dual Recto with multiple cabs!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zakkfaerum

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a question for you. I have a 3 channel Dual Recto and I am wondering about hooking both of my cabs up to it at the same time. What I am running for cabs is a Marshall 1936 2x12 (8 ohm mono, 16 ohm stereo) and a Marshall 1960V (16 ohm and 4 ohm mono, 8 ohm stereo).

What is the safest way to do this. Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!!

If 2x12 is 8ohms, and you run the 4x12 as 16 ohms, you can plug the 2x12 into the 4ohm output and the 16ohm cabinet to the 8 ohm output of the amp head. Its a safe mismatch but it may not sound as good as a correct match.

But it's always good to check the manual first before believing what someone says on a message board :D

hehe, yeah that's for sure. I did actually read the manual, and came up with the same idea that you mentioned. Ok........ so we both think the same thing. This could be good.

Thanks man!!!

Mesa has a huge section in their manuals in referance to speaker cabinet loads.
http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/3chRecto.pdf

However, my take on it and my rule of thumb is that as long as your cabinet ohm-age is more or equal to the amp speaker out rating you'll be fine electronically, but your tone will change. For instance running the 8 ohm setting speaker out on the back of your amp into a 4 ohm cabinet is bad. The reason being is that you have to have speaker load or the amperage in the amp will swell and you will blow a fuse. Kind of like when you go to your favorite music store and someone decides to plug into an amp against the wall and forgets to check to see if the cab it is sitting on is pluged into the amp. In this case the speaker output ohm-age(take your pick) was greater than the cabinet load (none so its 0 ohms). If you go by this rule of thumb you wont hurt your amp.

to recap:

Amplifier speaker-out rating has to be equal to or less than the rating on the speaker cabinet, :wink: :wink:

Back