help.......If you blow a fuse

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Reaction score
should there be any smoke? My rectoverb just shut off and there was a little smoke from the back...fuse is blown. Did this amp just kick on me?

I have been using Marshalls and Fenders for years and have had exactly NO issues at all. That is why I am at a loss. This is ROV #2 in 2 months and it has just gone south. All I did is replace the power tubes with JJ's and ppl here seem to do that all the time.

I am NOT impressed in any way, shape or form.

Try replacing the power tubes with the ones that were in it and replace the fuse. If it plays fine then the JJs were bad or wrong. If it doesn't play then damage was done prior to the fuse blowing. Hopefully this is not the case because you can blow a tranny with bad tubes. I have seen some Marshalls actually catch fire years ago when the power tubes failed because the fuse was wrong or didn't fail in time. Being that it was #2 in 2 months, maybe this is why the other owner sold it to you. Maybe there was something wrong with the amp already. Do not forget that sometimes people sell things that they do not want anymore because it is broken. Always thoroughly check out your amp before you buy it.

Smoke is not good. When a fuse blows it should not come with ANY smoke. Even if your amp appears to work after you replace the fuse I would expect it to fail again because one or more components may have been destroyed. Take it to an authorized service center and have it diagnosed.

If you don't like the mesa then sell it. This isn't the right place to whine about it.

I got it from a Store not an individual. And I wouldnt call anything I have said whining...I really like the amp.

I am NOT impressed at the reliability of the ROVs I have used thus far and stating that is not whining.

I think I will go with a different model Mesa. Depending on the outcome of the trip to the shop next week.

Never had a single problem with my dual recto yet.

Could just be a bad tube from JJ...it happens.

Rocky said:
I got it from a Store not an individual. And I wouldnt call anything I have said whining...I really like the amp.

I am NOT impressed at the reliability of the ROVs I have used thus far and stating that is not whining.

I think I will go with a different model Mesa. Depending on the outcome of the trip to the shop next week.

Just be patient, it isn't the model that's unreliable.. electronics just fail for some reason sometimes. Take it to an authorized repair center and hope for the best.

Smoke is usually not a good sign as fuses don't smoke when they fail. However, I've seen weirder things. I would try a power tube replacement, replace the fuse, go back to some sane settings on the front and hope for the best.

Experience would say it *might* be an output transformer which wouldn't be good (but not the end of the world).

Good luck, welcome to the board and keep us posted! We're here to help.

the room was dark...I am sure i saw smoke...maybe I was wrong though. Thing is I just put in a new fuse and the mesa tubes and now the thing is working fine.

I think it was the JJ's.

All I know is that I love the way this amp sounds and hope things are OK. the clean channel with a Route 66 in front is just fantastic.

Back