HELP. haha. trying to get rid of high freq. (Fizz)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tempest1226

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Ive realized that my dual rec only sounds good if im sitting next to the cabinet but not in front of it. When i sit in front (where the crowd and mic go for live and recording applications) it sounds to fizzy. If that makes any sense. I did a test and put an sm57 facing the speaker about three inches from the center and i recorded some jammin. Now when i added a low pass filter in pro tools to get rid of all freq. about around 8-9khz. It got rid of a lot of the fizz that was punching me right in the face. So then naturally i went to back up the treble knob to see if i could rid of it with that and that didnt do it. It just took more of the presense away but wouldnt get rid of the freq. that the low pass filter did in protools. So do they make a low pass filter for guitar. haha. Because that almost did the trick. So then this might sound wierd but i put a pair of headphones on but with nothing going through them. Just so i could muffle my ears and i liked the heaviness my amp had. Because with the headphones (earmuffs) on, it got rid of all the high freq. I already tried eqing them out, even with the 6 band mxr. And still know good. Ive heard of those 4 or 5" things you put in front of your speakers to block the sound ( I cant remember who makes em') but thats all i've ever seen. . Any suggestions? THis is killing me. My tone is to harsh when i am in front of it. But with something in my ears or when i stand to the side. ITS GREAT. BUt thats no good when i mic is put right in front. Thanks for your time.

you have mark IV's now? thats what i really want to try. BUt i have these two dual recs and i feel like theres got to be a way to get them right. I mean. Pros use em' and record with them.

Back in the day when we wanted to upgrade our speakers it usually meant JBL. Fizzies are one thing, the ice pick straight to the brain is another. So we used to spray paint the cones, especially the centers. Get a can of flat black spray paint if you want to try this. Enamel was thicker and took fewer coats but also took longer to dry. Leave your grill cloth off and just keep adding coats of paint until you get what you want. It took a few coats to get a Fender Twin with 2 JBL D120s to where you could stand it with a Telecaster so be patient. Those widgets that you put in front of your speakers are called Beam Blockers. I have not tried them yet so I can't say how they work. Other options include finding a rolled off dull sounding 12ax7 for V1. I have used a Sovtek 7025/12ax7WA for this, dark murky sounding tube but it made my old MusicMan RD50 sound pretty sweet. Or try a 2-15" cab instead of the 4-12". Good luck, the fizzies must go!

Try the MXR 10 band or MXR 31 band mono graphic. Either of those will allow you more frequencies to play with to tailor out your unwanted frequencies.

You mentioned Beam Blockers, which are small cones that you point towards the center of the speaker and they attach in between the cabinet and speakers. They do not kill unwanted frequencies, but disperse them outward instead of straight forward. You can get the same effect for less money by putting a piece of gaffer tape in front of the speaker on the inside of the speaker grill.

What speakers are you running in your cabinet? How old are they? I ask because if they are relatively new, and especially if they are Celestion V30's which come stock in Recto cabs really need to be broken in and until then they are very ice picky. This usually takes anywhere between 50 and 100 hours of playing time. I was running these in my cabinets when I was using Marshall amps and got rid of them because of this. I had no patience for that.

Try a different cab. I use mine mainly through an open back 1x12 with EV in it and sometimes through my thiele with EV as well. The recto 2x12 cab I have and the 4x12 I use to have bring out the worst in recto's IMO. I love my Mark IV through the recto 2x12 and thiele, but the recto sounds best through the open back to me.

I bought my 3 ch DR with a DR 2x12" Horizontal about 3 months ago and quickly decided something needed to be done to get rid of hizz.

First I went from using the DR 2x12" to using a 2x15" cabinet. This got rid of some of the hizz, rounded out the sound and made it a lot fatter and deeper - which I like.

Secondly I changed all the tubes to JJ preamp and 6L6 power tubes from Eurotubes. That took care of the rest of the hizz.

Lastly I have worked with my BOSS GT-8 to dial in the EQ and to push the front end of the amp to further smooth out the sound and get rid of the other potential issue with DRs described in many threads here as flaybbyness.

Now I really couldn't be happier.

PS. Some people here say you cannot get a DR tight, or that you cannot get a good lead sound out of a DR. I couldn't disagree more. It does take work, but in the end if you like the basic DR voicing and feel - it is definately worth it.

This is a problem with pretty much any amplifier. Sit in front of a cranked Marshall and you get the same thing

That is why I love my Mark IV: I run the last slider much lower which makes it sound better when in front of it (audience's perspective) at the expense of a more muffled sound when you're not in front of it.
I simply mic it closer to the dust cap so what comes out of the PA (and the monitors) still sound sharp!

*BUMP*

I'd like to see more to this string...there is a lot of good information and it's an issue I've been struggling with as well. I'm using the Stiletto Ace (1x12, comes with the Vintage 30) and an EJ Strat.

The is most extreme (painful actually) in any type of an envelope effect...I was using the Fulltone Wah, but no matter what it did...it was just unusable...I finally switched to the Bud-Wah because of their claim that their pedal reduces the frequency.

It definitely helped...still some volume/tone adjustments compared to without the pedal...but that's expected. I also turn the Treble/Mid/Presence down...definitely helps, but you lose something at the same time.

I want to make this EL34 config work...I LOVE the EL34...and I LOVE this amp when that ice pick isn't there...

Other thoughts I had are perhaps an EQ (though I hate to bring another pedal on) and maybe a speaker change (but I see mixed reviews that things like the Tone Tubby Ceramic...lose the nice clean tone.

MORE DISCUSSION PLEASE...THIS IS GOOD STUFF!

This is exactly why I don't use V30s. The upper mid spike just shreds my eardrums, driving me absolutely nuts. The C90 doesn't suffer from this problem at all, plenty of bottom end punch and midrange throatiness.

anoser said:
The is most extreme (painful actually) in any type of an envelope effect...I was using the Fulltone Wah, but no matter what it did...it was just unusable...

the stock setting was "ok"...you really need to pop it open and adjust the internal trim pot to where you like your tone. Tame it back a bit and you'll probably like it much better. You can easily dial out some of that high end and give it that old 60's VOX Wah sound if you so choose.

what im going to do but it cant be until next week, is, make some recording samples both video (with a camera) and audio (with an sm57) at all angles suggested and then maybe you can take it from there and tell me what the Heck i need to do, or if im crazy and it sounds ok. haha. But im working straight the next 5 days so it will be like tuesday. THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE AND LET THE SAMPLE BEGIN. in the meantime. Whats a good site for hosting a lot of audio clip as well as a site that will let me host a lot of video clips.

if you want to kill specific frequencies, get yourself a parametric equalizer. It will allow YOU to pick the frequency to kill or boost, not the manufacturer.

i could easily not put my face in front of the speakers but thats where the mic goes for recording and live applications.

Latest posts

Back