Help Another N00b choose an amp!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manwithnoname

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I’ve been lurking the forums for quite some time, but now I finally decided to speak up and ask a question or two from the experts! Any advice/comments will be extremely helpful. You guys are like the shrinks/therapists of the amp world!

Here’s my situation:

I have decided to get a Mesa amp no matter what, but I am not quite sure what to go for. I have had many different amps in the past, but the only Mesa I had was the Rect-o-Verb combo. I liked it, but I found it to be a lot of trouble to get great sounds out of. One day the sounds would be amazing, then the next day I would start tweaking like crazy, finding a muddy sound that I couldn’t really use. I had a Marshall Valvestate 120 Watt amp that I loved before the Mesa, but it too was missing something, not sure what.

Where I am today:

I was in the market for a good but not super-expensive head for my Randall 2x12 cab, so I went to a local shop that carried all brands from the cheap stuff to the boutique. I played a few Marshall tube amps and others- which sounded OK, but nothing special. Sitting next to them all was the Stiletto (Series 1). I plugged in a cheap Epiphone SG and the cleans sounded pretty nice, with a chimey 3-D sound to them. Then I switched channels and I was blown away by the palm-muting and power-chord sounds I was getting from the second channel. I immediately said, “Now I remember why I loved my old Mesa!” and from that moment on decided Mesa was the only way to go, but that I needed to look up the amps a little more. That is when I found out there was a Series 2, and an Ace as well. So now I am deciding between:

Stiletto Deuce
Dual Rectifier
Roadster

I played a Lonestar and an Ace combo, and found both to be great for cleans (especially the LS and LSC)but I quickly realized that the Lonestar would not be right for my kind of distortion. The distortion on the Ace was just not cutting it for the heavy stuff, but it did some nice crunchy tones- Now this totally may have been how it was setup, as I didn’t monkey around with the dials very much. I just could not get an over-the-top “CHUG” that I was hoping for with my palm-mutes and power-chords, and part of me was wondering if that might be that I prefer 6L6 over EL-34’s. So, since then I have been leaning toward the old-standard of a Dual Rectifier, and partially considered going back to the Single Rectifier. But then at the same time I see that the Roadster head is not THAT much more than a DR, and it has an extra channel and goodies like Reverb. Here are my thoughts and concerns:

Stiletto Deuce: Pros: Series 1 sounded great, and I believe has a real hard-edged distortion channel good for palm-muting and power chords. Cons: I am the only guitarist in my band, and typically like to have a heavy bass presence with my guitar work to establish the rhythm- when I read most reviews, the Stilettos are referred to as being great alongside a DR. This makes me think the Deuce may sound thin or too mid-rangey in a band situation. I know it sounds stupid, but I have a small worry (although extremely unfounded) that the Stiletto’s are just a flash in the pan (catchy names on things are usually a turn off for me), and that sooner or later I will find myself thinking I don’t have REAL mesa tone.

Dual Rectifier: Pros: I love Dave Grohl’s guitar sound on the first two Foo Fighters albums, and I believe that what he mostly plays is DR’s for his distortion. DR’s seem like a no-brainer for hard rock since everyone uses them. I also assume I can get the same cleans and distortion (but heavier) as I had on my Rect-O-Verb. Plus I can take out two power tubes to lower the wattage and can replace the tubes with El-34’s if I want to try a different sound. Cons: The cleans seem kinda flat, and not as 3-D as what I experienced on the Deuce. The amp seems like a one trick Thoroughbred.

Roadster: Pros: Four Channels, Reverb, Great Cleans and a DR voicing on the 3&4 channels. Cons: Everything good I have heard about this amp is from published ads, not real feedback. I have heard people say that the cleans are “close” to the Lonestar and that the dirty channels are “like” a DR. Plus it seems there are some technical issues with Roadsters?

About me and my play-style:

Here’s where I lose all credibility (as if I had any thus far hahaha):
I am not a technical guitar player in any way. I’m not a fan of playing solos and I’ve never played anything that would suggest me making a wanker face while holding a note. I play big dumb rock, and that is about it. It’s mostly chunky rhythm and simple chords along the lines of Everclear or probably any modern band. So I’m looking for something with a nice big hard rock sound and a wee bit of metal (though not shred). I play in a garage band, and I don’t gig, although if there were people that could stand the sound I make, I would like to play out. I’m not a Tube snob, but I definitely hear a huge difference in the way a tube amp sounds over a solid state. For cleans, I prefer Tubes, but depending on how heavy I want to play, I can go back and forth between tubes and SS for distortion.

I plan on visiting a local store over the next few nights with all makes of Mesa amps in stock (Guitar Showcase in San Jose) so in the end it will probably come down to what I hear there in the store- but I am hoping that with some educated feedback here I can get a better understanding of what I should expect out of these amps, and help sway my decision.

Thanks so much for your time!

-Steve

what kind of dual rectifier did you play?

Do a lot of searches on this forum regarding the different versions of the Stilleto's (1 vs. 2) and of the Roadster. The Dual Rectifier 3ch will get you good cleans (though nothing like a lonestar), but at the sacrifice of a slightly muddy tone, which you said you experienced with the Rectoverb you once had. If you get frustrated easily with tone, the DR's produced in recent years are not for you. However, if you get an old DR (2ch), you will notice a clearer tone and won't get as frustrated.

Another "however": the Road King Series 2 is ridiculously good according to every review on this forum. It has the Lonestar cleans plus the closest tone to the old style rectifier sound as Mesa has made in recent years. If you're looking at a Roadster, just plunk down for one of these.

The stilleto series 2 I've heard is a lot more aggressive and modern...more chug i suppose. I forgot what it's "drawbacks" were though..you need to research.

The best way is just to use the same guitar and cab (pick the cab you will be using at home) and dial everything FLAT! all knobs to 12oclock. This gives you the best objective view. Afterwards, you can begin to screw around, but always start with knobs flat to get best comparisons, and play the same riffs.

MWNN=> For what is is worth, here is my input. I would suggest (2) amps for you, one being a Mesa product, the other a non Mesa product.

1) A Mesa Solo 50 (the newer 3 mode version). This is a great warm sounding amp with the exact sound you are seeking. I would suggest trying it with a Mesa cab with V30's (not my choice at this time) or with a Mesa 2/12 3/4 back with C90's. By dialing in the red channel to Vintage mode, presence@9:00, treble@10:00, bass@12 to 1:00, mids@9:00, and dial in the volume to preference, you will get a great vintage/y type of fat crunch. Dial in the clean channel to your taste as it is a great sound/channel. If the Red channel with these settings still doesn't quite cut it, then slowly (barely turning) up the treble/mids/presence a little at a time. This should enable you to 'nail' what you are looking for.
2) The second choice would be a Soldano (used because they no longer make it I don't think) Hot Rod 50+. Same goes for it's distortion. Set the treble/mids/presence slightly below '2' and the bass on 6. Then slowly bring up the treble/mids/presence until it meets your specific sound. I believe that this would be an excellent choice. The HR50+ and more mids from the get=go. Great amp and should be had for around $850.00 to $1050.00.
3) You could try the Ace with these settings as well. My understanding that with the Ace one needs to start out with the treble off, bass up and adjust the mids ONLY until you get 'your' sound.

Good luck

Thank you so much for the feedback!

Elpelotero:
The DR that I played was a newer 3-channel model. I have heard a Trem-O-Verb and an older DR (2 Channel) that I thought sounded a bit better than what I tried in the store. I will see how much the Road King price tag scares me when I get to the store and decide if it is "the one" haha -Thanks again!

Dennis:
I will definitely be trying out the Solo 50 and the Ace with the settings you suggested. Now I can walk into the situation armed with settings that should help me get what I want. I thank you profusely!

I think part of my issue was that so far I have been playing amps with multiple guitars that are not very similar to my current guitar. I play a Custom shop Class 5 Les Paul with Burstbuckers and it has a weight reliefed body, so it sounds quite different than a full-bodied LP. I will bring it in tonight and see what I can do! I'm sure with your suggestions I will be walking out with a Stiletto 2 or a Solo 50. Now it's time to look up that Soldano!

Thanks again.

Back