Heartbreaker Combo...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCastro

Reaction score
This is actually 2 questions...

1) Where do the Heartbreakers "fit" in the Mesa line? They seem to be an earlier take on british styling, so maybe a precursor to the Stiletto line? Is it even a "Vintage: Before 1991" amp? AM I IN THE RIGHT FORUM!?!? OH NO!

2) What are your opinions on Mercury transformers for this amp (or any amp for that matter)? It kinda seems like a gimmick and I dislike/distrust youtube comparison videos... Which transformer (if any) would have a greater effect on tone, Output or Power?

Actually, the Heartbreaker was promoted and advertised as Mesa's tribute (25th anniversary) to the original Mark I, but with a huge twist. Channel 1 (Love) is intended to capture the Mark I flavor, but using the (then) latest mesa techonology of multiple modes and mini switches. Unlike the Marks (until IV), the Heartbreaker has separate controls of all functions for each channel. Channel 2 (Lust) was designed to have a more British flavor EQ and vibe. The two channels were voiced very different. A lot of people, including Tom Anderson of Anderson guitars, still think the Heartbreaker is one of the sweetest Mesas and an "unsung winner." It isn't really a Mark series as it doesn't have the 3 gain/volume controls, and it was pre-Rectifier series, and wasn't part of any other series (DC, F, Nomad). It really is a one-off model and pretty unique. Later series (Stilleto, Recto, etc.) had similar layouts and channel configuration, but were voiced differently and targeted at different markets.

I happen to have a HB head that I love. I have owned Mark i and Mark IV, Lonestar, Road king, Rectoverb and others, and the only Mesa I still have is the Heartbreaker.

Okay, now here's the secret..... there are some mods available that turn the Lust channel into a JCM800 monster. I had that done and, OH MY GOD, winner! I can get a gorgeous clean tone and a Mesa saturated tone on the Love channel, and the Lust channel has that throaty complex rich Marshall tone that rings into overdrive perfectly. I also had the Reverb modded, as the original reverb was kind of anemic.

There actually is a HB head for sale in classifieds on this page, and it was owned by Andy at ILA, who does the mod. I think the head is down to around $700 or so and already has all the mods done to it. that is a great deal. The HB is a great, sleeper amp that hasn't got the credit it deserves, probably because they couldn't market it within a line and was more of an anniversary special edition type release.

Brent

JCastro said:
2) What are your opinions on Mercury transformers for this amp (or any amp for that matter)? It kinda seems like a gimmick and I dislike/distrust youtube comparison videos... Which transformer (if any) would have a greater effect on tone, Output or Power?

I don't have any personal experience with Mercury transformers but from what I have read they are considered very good but very pricey items. The output transformer has more influence over tone than the power tranformer. The power transformer will influence the attack of the amp and affect whether the amp has a stiff or softer feel to it. The voltage the power transformer develops and supplies to the power stage will influence the clean head room the amp has, i.e. higher voltage translates to more clean head room, less voltage translates to earlier breakup. Hope this helps.

Back