Hearbreaker humming...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riscchip

Reaction score
Greetings,

I wonder if anyone might have any suggestions for addressing a hum that my Heartbreaker is making. I'm not sure how long it's been there because it's on channel two only, and I use channel one almost exclusively.

It's a consistent, low pitch hum and it happens in all modes and settings (full / half power, ss or tube rect, etc.) , EL34, 6V6 or 6L6 tubes, but only on channel 2. It gets worse in high gain mode (no suprise there).

Things I've ruled out already:
--tubes, including rectifier tube
--ground loop
--guitar / pedal / effects loop noise
--wall power

Thanks for any ideas you might have!

Thanks for your time!

Thanks very much for your thoughts, my friend.

I have indeed swapped out every tube in the amp, so I think tubes are cleared as the culprit. It makes the noise even with no cable plugged in, and the speaker cable seems not to be the culprit either.

Now that's an interesting consideration...the filter caps. I'm not sure how old my Heartbreaker is...I'll have to look into that. I wonder if the hum wouldn't occur on both channels if it was the filter caps? Perhaps the higher gain in Channel 2 is pushing the noise more to the surface.

In any case, that's the sort of issue I'll want Boogie to look at rather than me. If I can rule out everything that I might be able to swap out / fix myself, I'll just run the amp up to Mesa / Boogie (they're only 20 minutes away from where I live, and great with service as you all know). Just want to make sure there is nothing simple I can turn up myself, first.

Thanks again, my friend.

Back