Has the Stiletto High Gain sound comparable to the Rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
was wondering this myself,just had a look at dopemans deuce topic called picked up a duece today,ohhhh it looks great,I need to play one know

I had owned a Triple Recto for 5 yrs., and had a Stiletto Ace for about a month.

These are my personal opinions on the amps. I lean more towards the Modern Metal sound so I do prefer the Rectos.

The Stiletto is a totaly different amp, both tone wise and feel wise.

The Stiletto has more of a Marshall vibe to it. Very tight in the bottom end and not as low, very pronounced mids and highs, but not shrill or fizzy at all. Very much at home with Rock or 80's Metal.

The Stiletto has alot of gain, most likely more than the average player would need from this type of amp, but it's character (voicing) is totally different from a Recto.

The Recto has a hugh bottom end that can get overpowering if abused. It's much more Modern / Nu-Metal sounding in it's modern mode, but the vintage mode can be a sweet soupy treat with the Tube Rectifier.

The Recto has an over-abundance of gain, especially in modern mode. It can also get very fizzy sounding if your not careful, but it's sound is un-mistakable.

I can get the Recto to ALMOST sound like the Stiletto (but not feel the same) where as the Stiletto doesn't stand a chance sounding anything like a Recto.

Personally I prefer the Recto's. I have no problem covering 80's Metal in vintage, Rock in raw (w/ boost) and modern mode speaks for it's self.

Hope this helps,
Dom

^ That sums it up pretty well.. I'd say it can get as high gain as the recto but it's a TOTALLY different flavor and feel to the distortion.

I play an Ace and my other guitar player in my band plays a Roadster - we both have 4 x 12s.

These amps are completely different gain animals, Platy is correct. Both great amps, each toneful in their own way but neither sounds much like the other - without truly massive changes that the EQ knobs alone simply cannot accomodate. They also don't feel the same. Frankly I love the recto sound but the amp -feels- solid state compared to the juiciness of the Ace. Don't buy one expecting to be able to clone or do a passing likeness of the other in tone or feel.

Both can do "high gain" with flair and do everything the other amp does but they don't sound the same doing it. I prefer a brit voicing for everything with gain regardless of where its in c sharp or e flat. Some people only want to hear the recto thud for their drop tunings and thats cool too.

They do sound truly great together - they were designed to after all. The Roadster has the huge, full lows and more compressed highs. The Ace is strong in the mids and spongier sounding overall.

-P

In reference to my Stage I - Pretty sure that the Stiletto could do stuff like Down, Corrosion of Conformity, Soundgarden etc.. It has a lot of gain on tap but I don't think it would be good for Death Metal or thrash though. I would define it more as a Hard Rock amp.

Apparently the Stage II has more gain maybe somebody will chime in.

My Stage I has plenty of gain for me though and it sounds great. If I need more of a recto-ish kind of tone I'll just use my F-50.

The Stage I with the Hollywood mod sounds better, overall, then the stage I or stage II. The Ace is Stage II. You can get a Stage I cheap, but now the HW mod, which is not authorized in it's original form, can be done in two parts by an authorized Mesa tech-but the price for both is about $270 US. It really does the trick on the Stage I, and I like it better the Stage II. The mod give the Stage I more gain and a tighter bottom and I prefer it to my ACE, which is an outstanding amp as well. Not a rectifier though-don't expect to be. Its a brit sound, and I could certainly see Jimmy Page having used one to record Zepplin with-if he only could have.

Here's a quick clip I made of my Deuce (stage I). I don't think I would force anybody to listen to this more than once unless I was trying to torture them but it should give you an idea of what the amp sounds like.

The Kravitz-esque rythym part is channel 1 on crunch and the hard rock guitar solo 101 is channel 2 on fluid drive.

Keep in mind this is being recorded direct with a hot plate so it isn't going to do the amp justice.

http://www.itwontburn.com/stiletto_clip.mp3

Back