Has ANYONE played the Roadster and the Roadking?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hendog

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out the difference in voicing between these two great amps.

I want that Roadking grind and I'm trying to figure out if the Roadster has that capability.

The Roadster and Roadking II share the exact same preamp. The only difference 'tone wise' is the RK's ability to mix 6L6GC and EL34 powertubes together. With the Roadster you have to swap tubes for either one or the other.

With that said, the true 'Recto Grind' is based off the Dual Rectifier running a Quad of 6L6GC's. With the RK II set to 4X6L6 and the Roadster running 4X6L6's they are pretty much the exact same amp tonewise.

Dom

i´m using a roadster for about 2 years now....and i was always wondering if the road king would sound better - no he does´t!
it´s the same amp as long as you are using the 4x6L6 option. if you want to switch on one or more channels to EL34 and keep 6L6 on rest, than the road king is the deal.
if not - go with the roadster.
btw. i changed the power tubes to 4x EH EL34 and love it more. the 6L6s are o.k. but with the EL34 you get a bit more mid-grind. i really love that sound.
even with highgain settings (red set to modern, orange set to vintage).

True... they are virtually identical except for a few features in the amps, and the obvious difference in that the RK II also uses EL-34 tubes.

Read our in-depth review of the RK II, which goes into full details of the differences between the RK I, RK II, and Roadster.

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/0906_MesaBoogieRoadKing.php

Scott

Back