Has anyone done both Reeder Mods? Thoughts?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

messaboog1e

Reaction score
Did Reeder Mod #2 and I am happier with the channel 2. But I could be happier. I'm wondering of going to Reeder Mod #1 would get me there? Would love to hear thoughts from anyone who has done both.

I know Splatter's Bias Mod has worked well for others, but I want to try these 2 first to see if it helps.

Thanks for your feedback!

I did the Reeder mod #1 first and I think it dramatically improves the tone more than the second mod. The second mod was more subtle with my rig. It really took care of the overabundance of low mids for me in channel 2. Definitely do the mod, it is easy and reversible.

Thanks Steve. Appreciate the response. Any worries about electric shock like in the bias mod? This one seems so much easier.

Anytime you take out the chassis, regardless if you just look at it or do something with it, you have the same risk of getting shock. The simplest way is blast a power chord and turn off the pwr switch (leave the standby on). If you have a volt meter, measure the voltage across those big caps, below 5V you can work w/o fear.
btw what is it that you're trying to improve or tame?

Just trying to do the Reeder Mod #1 to improve the Channel 2 mud. I'm almost there but hope this will get me there. Thanks for the help!

Reeder Mod #1 will definitely makes it sound like Channel 1. A couple settings I found useful is set the presence to max (basically bypass that pot) it will reduce the compression a bit. Make sure the speaker out matched your pwr setting.

Did the 1st Reeder Mod last night. First thoughts are the bass is actually muddier than when just Mod #2 was done. Have to crank it up a little more today to see if that was the issue. I'm hoping it does the trick. Anyone else think the bass was muddier (with less gain) after the 1st mod???? Haven't read any responses stating it did.

I can't emphasize this point enough about the the Reeder's 1 mod: set both channels with the exact same setting, they should sound the same.
If they don't then something is wrong. The obvious is to check the pots part # to make sure that the correct pot is in the correct place, and verify the wiring.
Also the more you crank the gain knob, the darker the amp gets. This is because there is a bright cap that retains the high when you turn the gain down.
If both channels sound muddy then it has nothing to do with the mod. Hope this helps.

Everything was correct. The channels were the same. I just wasn't a fan of it. Too tinny on the high end, but the low E string was much more muddier than it was prior to the mod. I reversed the pots yesterday and played it a gig volume and am very happy with it now. These Lone Stars are very unique.

Back