Half power triple rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jr3d

Reaction score
I know you can take 2 of the power tubes out with a DR but can you take 3 out of a triple rec? and if so which 3?

thank you for your time.

Nope! Does'nt work that way with the Triples! Something like it does'nt drop the power evenly? You would remove them in pairs, BTW!

Oh well I like blasting the windows out :twisted: , it's just my parents that don't.

I think Fresh Prince had a song about that in the 80's...

Ok so if I removed one pair would that get me down to 100 watts at least?

jr3d said:
Ok so if I removed one pair would that get me down to 100 watts at least?

There isn't a proper impedence match if you do this, it does not work with Triples as it does with Duals.

The tubes are in pairs.. running 3 tubes means one tube has no mate.

You're not going to notice any audible difference between 100 and 50 or 150 and 100, just the headroom/feel of the amp changes, not the overall volume.

If you want a bedroom rocker, don't use a Rectifier... not gonna happen.

I haven't tried it with a Triple but driving the output at say 1 or 2 oclock and setting the master low say 7-7:30. I've got a ROV that I do this with and I get a decent bedroom volume and feel. It's not going to sound as good as cranked but it might give your parents a break.

Any tube amp is always going to sound better cranked.

Its not in my room its out in the garage and they can still hear it :p

I think I may have found a solution but I don't want to make decision until I have some input on it. Does a hot plate do the job of reducing output without destroying the tone of your amp? I realise I may have to cut it down to one or two speakers in the cab.

jr3d said:
I think I may have found a solution but I don't want to make decision until I have some input on it. Does a hot plate do the job of reducing output without destroying the tone of your amp? I realise I may have to cut it down to one or two speakers in the cab.

A hotplate is going to give you power tube saturation at lower volumes.

Be warned though, there is a bit of tone suck despite what they might say about it. Running the bright button on it helps this out.

As was said there is no real way to pull tubes and still have impedance matching. I would support the rest of the guys saying not to do this.

As far as an attenuator goes, I would just assume get a less powerful amp to use for when you can't play excessively loud.

Is that going to work? I have the triple.. but I would never dare to remove the tubes for a 150 watt amp.. I would just use a different amp or purchase an attenuator...

Latest posts

Back