Guitar sustain breath control?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyddan

Reaction score
Umm, this is quite odd to explain: I've been trying to duplicate Petruccis' "breath control" which he sometimes uses to create moods while playing smooth solos.

He strikes a note (mostly on a single string) and the tone goes "oooooooooouuuuuuaaaaaaaa". Sounds like the guitar is wailing and crying. Sort of like a tiny wah-pedal but very slowly and moderately. Been trying to figure this out for a few weeks but to no avail.

If I wiggle my finger very lightly on a sustained note this gives a slight harmonic sound but you can hear the "wiggling" way too much.

I've seen him doing this live so he's not touching any pedals anywhere, and he only does it sometimes so its not part of his setup I think. Must be playing style.

Listen to the slow mid solo in "In the Presence of Enemies (part 1)" and the outro to "ministry of lost souls" and he will do it extensively.

Anyone figured this out already?

I do a thing where I pull/push on the neck to go a little bit sharp/flat then slowly release the pressure on the neck (while playing). It's subtle and adds a bit of extra texture . Try that .

Try an Ebow. A small handheld battery powered device which vibrates the string similar to a bow'd instrument. Not sure who makes them now.
http://www.ebow.com/ well that was easy enough.

Latest posts

Back