guitar PU for Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eet fuk

Reaction score
Disillusioned by the emg81 and JB, I like the super dist the best so far, but I'm considering the deactivator, 85, blackout and blackout metal. Any experiences to share? 81 is too sterile, bassless, punchless, JB a hair too less output, less bass and grind. The Dimarzio SD has a rich punchy bass, grindy mid/treble that cuts, and plenty of output. But I want more grind and a slightly less "vintagey" tone via actives. I'm particularly anxious to try the metal blackout. Anyone try this or the metal livewire with the mark IV?

Also, I use v30s only in tandem with other speakers like 75s, cl80s, or k100s. Never by themselves or it's too harsh. In case you're wondering why I want so much grind.

I don't like emg 81's. like you said, too thin and sterile. the 85's sound a LOT better, more natural and they're higher output too. Also, the older 85's without the removable clip wiring seem fuller than the newer ones.

Cool, I didn't realize SD had a forum, I'll check it out thanks. Cool about the 85. I have a D sonic, wasn't too impressed when I used it with all v30s and an engl powerball. I would try it with the boogie, but I need more output anyways. The SD is just enough and I wouldn't mind having a smigin more for compressed silky buttery leads. I have a fear that the metal blackout won't have enough bass and the deactivator will be perfect. We'll see. I think I should have posted this in the guitars section, sorry yall.

I don't see what the problem is with the 81. Sure "sterile" is maybe a good way to put it but it is not in any way thin, bassless or punchless. The 81's are super clear and articulate especially on an Alder body guitar = ear gasm. I will say this though, most SD's sound a lot better when playing clean channel stuff.

The DiMarzio Tone Zone or Paul Reed Smith HFS (Hot Fat Screamin') work very well through a Mark IV.

fpoon said:
I don't see what the problem is with the 81. Sure "sterile" is maybe a good way to put it but it is not in any way thin, bassless or punchless.
have you ever tried an 85 in the bride? fwiw gibson uses them for most of their custom shop guitars (w/ actives)

I've switched over to BareKnuckle pickups and I find it hard to go back to Duncans or Dimarzios.
I know they're expensive but their 7 string pickups (I haven't tried any of his 6 string versions) completely smoke any duncan or dimarzio 7 string pickups.
I would think the 6 string versions are voiced very similarly to the 7 string versions.

kmanick said:
I've switched over to BareKnuckle pickups and I find it hard to go back to Duncans or Dimarzios.
I know they're expensive but their 7 string pickups (I haven't tried any of his 6 string versions) completely smoke any duncan or dimarzio 7 string pickups.
I would think the 6 string versions are voiced very similarly to the 7 string versions.
thats sweet.i heard a nailbomb in bridge and ruled. i use WCR goodwood in bridge ,play in C# (drop tuning), metal in general and absolutly sings.i wont go back to EMGs and sterile pickups like that.

If you don't mind having a ton of treble on tap, try an L500XL. I have one in my Ibanez, and I think it has a ton of punch. The assloads of treble also make pinch harmonics scream. Also, massive output.

It may look kind of odd next to your pickups, but if you don't mind that then this may work for you.

I am also very interested to hear opinions about PU's in a Mark IV. I have an Ibanez S-470 and am waiting on my Mark IV to return home. Im just tired of crappy stock pickups and I really just cant be sure what I am looking for when it comes to pickups.

Latest posts

Back