Guitar pickups with rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloodstone

Reaction score
I was wondering what you guy's opinions were with the best sounding pickups through a rectifier. Now I play hard rock, modern and classic, and currently all my guitars have active EMG's in them. I don't own a single guitar with passives and I have never played passives through my Mesa. I'm going to be buying a new guitar soon and it's going to be a Explorer body style mohagany wood. I am debating on either geting a ESP with a EMG 81/85 combo in it or a Gibson Explorer with stock pickups in it. What do you think?

P.S.
I can't try the Gibson out on my rig unless I buy it, then I have the option to take it back for a full refund if I don't like it.

My personal favorite is EMGs (85n/81b).

Other than that, I prefer low to mid output pickups with the Recto. The Recto has enough gain on it's own that it really doesn't need high output passives.

I have had good results with the Duncan Invader, Gibson 498T, and the PRS Tremonti. They all sound great IMO.

The explorer most likely has a 500T 498R combination of pickups on it, so it will definatly sound different than a Les Paul. I have heard the the 500T screams, so chances are it will sound really good through your triple.

I definantly recommend the PRS tremonti though if you are just looking for a simple P/up upgrade.

I second the Tremonti's! Amazing pickups which really brought new life to my recto.

The JB I had previously always added a harsh treble that I couldn't dial out. I put the tremonti's in, and it rounded everything out! It also drives the amp in a way that I can't really explain. I just brought a whole new beast out of the amp!

THe other guitar player in our band has a v with stock 498 500T combo and it sizzles good. They scream, he gets relatively close to the same amount of sizzle I get with my emgs but they arent near as tite. They have a looser feel to them but they are really good IMO. They are more versatile because the cleans are better. The 85 in the neck isnt that great of a clean but if ur like me I only play clean about 5% of the time I play.

Man, I've tried several pickups and different guitars with my RK and the one I like best for the hard stuff is my stock Peavey Wolfgang. It has this mid bite to it that makes the recto just sing and it's the hottest humbucker I think I've ever played (besides an active PUP).

I've got BurstBuckers in a Standard LP that sounds just like they're supposed to.

I have Burstbucker Pro's in one les Paul, and EMG 81/85 in another. For high gain, its EMG all the way. BB are a tad muddy, but they work great in my marshal for "Crunch" ..

I have a '62 Jaguar with A dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, and a Duncan Mini '59 in the neck. Perfect blend to coax the Single Recto into sounding the way I like it. Fat, warm, clear.

Latest posts

Back