Good, Cheap amp stand for my 125 pound RK combo???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
I need a good but pretty cheap amp stand for my Road King combo..It also needs to be pretty compact when I'm lugging it around..... is there such a thing?? I seen some on Ebay for around $30-$40 + shipping that'll hold up to 150 pounds, anyone try one of those? (here's the link to them: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7407241660&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd )

I'm currently using a big black box that is almost as big as the amp, it looks cool (almost like a 1/2 stack behind me) but I'm needing something that takes up less space in my car.

Any suggestions??

I've also got a Quick Lok QL-643 amp stand that I've used with my 35 pound Deluxe, my 80 pound ROV and Fender Twin and even my 105 pound Tremoverb combo, but I just read the specs on it and it says it has a 40 pound weight limit.......oops :oops: . Maybe I read the specs wrong, here's the link to that: http://www.quiklok.com/search_list.taf?_function=detail&Layout_0_uid1=33192 .

What do you recommend?[/url]

I have the first one I used to use with my 2x12 cab. Very sturdy and good piece of equipment. I just don't use it anymore becase whne you take any cab off the ground it looses so much of its bass.

Bloodstone said:
I have the first one I used to use with my 2x12 cab. Very sturdy and good piece of equipment. I just don't use it anymore becase whne you take any cab off the ground it looses so much of its bass.
I have three of the ampstands your talking about (original link)and two are used normally with a pair of Mesa Thiele 1-12" cabs, but the third is used with a Traynor YCV-50 Blue combo and it did suffer from the "disappearing bass" problem. The way I solved this was to remove the extending arms and use the A frame base to lean the amp back on. This restored the bottom end (bass) to the tone and tilted the amp to the perfect angle so it was no longer firing at my ankles, but instead pointed up at my ears. I also applied 1/2" thick x 3/4" wide weather stripping to the front of the legs on the amp stand so the amp wouldn't get scratched up by leaning it back against the stand.

You need to de-couple the stand from the floor. Audiophile sites sell these cones that you can buy that replace the feet on the bottom of speaker cabs. You can probably install them on the amp stemps themselves.

The best stand for a RK combo is a 4X12. I know, it doesn't meet the criteria, but it kicks ***. A road case would take up less space than the extra empty black box. If you're into the look the black box gave you, you could alwayspaind the road case to look like a cab. That would be neato torpedo.

I actually sold the ATA case that I got for it because it wouldn't fit in my car :shock: , so whats the point in having one?? I may look for a smaller one that isn't as big someday in the future.

I actually sold a 2x12 Genz benz cab too that I haven't used since I went to a combo amp early last year... It did sound GREAT running through the cab but I only used it one time all last year because I guess I'm just getting lazy in my old age (I'm 34), and plus the cab was over-kill for most of my gigs......Heck, my 2x12 is sometimes over-kill for some gigs, my soundman already says "uhhh, can you turn down your amp some" or "ummmm, can you turn the bass down"?

I just need something to aim the amp at my head or to make it more ear level so it's not blowing away everyone else just so I can hear it. I thought about those "tilt back legs" someone talked about earlier, but with my track record of keeping an amp, I don't want to drill holes in it and then trun around and want to sell it in 2 months and have to take a $300 hit on it because it's got Fender tilt back legs on it.

Maybe a $7 concrete block to lean the amp back on and a $.50 towel to put on the concrete block to keep it from scratching my amp will solve all my problems?? :lol:

cinderblock8ww.png

Dude, you're already dragging out a 125 lb amp. That's not exactly lazy. If mine wasn't covered in blue suede, I'd probably put legs on it myself. You could always build a wooden cradle, put some rubber on it, and call it a day. I think you would be disappointed with the amp if it were acoustically "de-coupled." YMMV, but I love the thump, and you'd lose a bunch.

Latest posts

Back