Gibson Les Paul info needed

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masque

Reaction score
does Gibson make any new standards that do not automatically come with the new "chambered" lightweight bodies?

Unless you buy a VOS model you cannot get one without chambers.

Exactly what year did they change that? I have a 2001 Classic that weighs a TON !

We picked up a 2006 Studio for guess what, studio use, and I couldn't believe how light it was, just a few ounces over 7 lbs. We've had quite a few players that have used it and to them, at least, they can't tell any sonic difference. To me it sounds a little different than our other Pauls unplugged but when it's live it sounds about the same. The Studios run the 490/498 combination so it does run a little hotter that our 57 Classic/Burstbucker Pauls.

What are you looking to do? Playing out is definitely a bit of a chore, lugging around 9-11 pounds of mahogany and wire, but I can honestly say there is a difference, even plugged in- if you can deal w/ the weight, go w/ solid body. I had been shopping seriously for 7-8 months and playing anything I could get my hands on, and settled on a '78 LP Custom- The wood had done all the moving it was gonna do, neck was straight, mello-yello binding, plays sooo sweet, it just sings...I have also heard the pre-gibson lawsuit PRS actually sounds every bit as good, but with a more manageable neck. Good luck~!

i beleive 06 was the year of change. I have a Supreme that is chambered with 490/498 combo and it rips. It sounds like a custom but you can hear a slight difference on lower gain settings. Maybe a little like a 335. But All in all it sounds like a paul!

Rocky said:
False. I bought a '06 LP Classic and it's not chambered. I think "chambered" is like an option and it costs more than a "normal" LP.
Guys, a LP is heavy and that's it. If you can't handle it, you don't deserve a LP. That's for fun of course! :wink:

False. I bought a '06 LP Classic and it's not chambered. I think "chambered" is like an option and it costs more than a "normal" LP.
Guys, a LP is heavy and that's it. If you can't handle it, you don't deserve a LP. That's for fun of course!

False. You just bought one before they switched to chambering as the standard. I will cut you some slack because you are french :lol:

update-Gibson is to "offer" the Traditional LP ....non chambered like the Pauls were up till 06(still will have the holes,I suppose..)
-glad the option will be there,but.....I wonder what the price will be...seems like they may have "created" a demand for something they were making until a few years ago..now offer as some type of custom option
:?: -read about this on sunburst pub forum

Cuistre said:
Rocky said:
Guys, a LP is heavy and that's it. If you can't handle it, you don't deserve a LP. That's for fun of course! :wink:

No I am correct. In 2006 Gibson began the 'weight relief' on some Les Pauls. As of 2007 it is on all models that roll off the main production floor.

Cuistre said:
Rocky said:

Yes, a Classic is going to be normal weight. It's the Standard's that are chambered.

Pinetop-Fretzilla said:
Cuistre said:
Rocky said:

Yes, a Classic is going to be normal weight. It's the Standard's that are chambered.

Classics are also chambered. Gibson isnt hiding which models have weight relief...all of this stuff is on the Gibson site.

Chambers started as a main production feature in the last quarter of 2006. By 2007 Q1 it was standard.

Rocky said:
Pinetop-Fretzilla said:
Cuistre said:

Classics are also chambered. Gibson isnt hiding which models have weight relief...all of this stuff is on the Gibson site.

Chambers started as a main production feature in the last quarter of 2006. By 2007 Q1 it was standard.

Good to know Gibson isn't hiding anything. My 06 Standard is chambered and I love it.

Regarding chambering, please don't judge before you try it. I was skeptical myself, but this isn't the "swiss cheese" approach of the 80s. The new chambered Standards are actually very nice sounding guitars.

So much so, that I just picked up a very sweet sounding 08 Standard last month.

+1

I know people that really like the sound of the new Les Pauls.

I am not one of them but it is important to let your ears decide.

Before the Chambering(2006), they had Swiss Cheese bodies(don't exactly know when it started). They were still weight relieved.
Go to the Sunburst Pub in Les Paul Forum. THere's alot of info there.
It seems that only Custom Shop LP's are Solid.

the 'swiss cheese' thing was only on body backs that were WAY heavy. Pre 2006 any chambering was the exception and was not really common...present but not common.

Back