Getting a better tone out of an F-30 w/ contour?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UsrName

Reaction score
OK guys, for the last few days, I have been trying to get a less harsh tone out of my F-30 with countour on. It sounds great at lower volumes, but the more I raise the master, the harsher it sounds. On this mode, I'm trying to get a sort of Metallica "Black Album" mark type tone. The tone is there, but really harsh and undefined. What am I doing wrong?

Here is my setup:

PRS CE-24 (HFS/Vintage pups)
F-30 combo
EarCandy 212 w/ V30/G12-T75

settings: Gain-12-1:00, Treble-12-1:00, Mid-10:30, Bass-8-9:00, Master-9:00-11:00

I've tried dialing back the treble and gain, but to no avail. I even dialed the treble back to 9:00 and the high end was still just piercing. I've also tried running the combo by itself, together with the cab, and with the cab by itself, being careful to mind the proper load.

Please help, I really want to get along with this little guy!

PS: Is the F-50 this way also? Should I upgrade?

Holy smokes, I just noticed these (F-series) amps don't have a presence!

F30 => ... EL84s power stage tubes have a somewhat "brilliant" presence characteristics (Studio .22, LoneStar Special, AC30 Vox).

Try Celestion Greenbacks. You will lose some SPLs (loudness) but you will tone down the precense region compared to the Vintage30s and G12-T75s.

I will warn, this may not be a your solution to your problem but just a suggestion. I find the V30s a favorite of mine for "universal" application but for "specific" tone, I find other choice of speakers works better for me.

sunder said:
Holy smokes, I just noticed these (F-series) amps don't have a presence!

Yeah, if you look at some of it's predecessors (can't remember for sure, is the Subway or the DC .22?) they had EITHER Presence OR Reverb...never both. I guess they just decided to go with Reverb on the F-Series.

Back