George L cables for patches?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nogalian

Reaction score
I just got my 2:90 yesterday. :D :D MMMmmmmm, NICE!! Since I am new the the rack scene and don't have any pre made patch cables around, I tried using George L cables, the fat ones, between the Triaxis and the 2:90, for switching modes. It seems to work, but after reading some posts, and the manual!, un shielded cables are recommended, so as not to fry the amp. Will the George L's present a problem or should I get some higher quality/unshielded cable?
Thanks!!

You don't need high quality cables for switching, though durable cables are nice. I think lamp cord would work as well as anything else, and it's practically free - just stick plugs on it.

Your guitar signal does not go through the switch circuits.

Also, the manual does not recommend unshielded, it just recommends that a shield is not necessary. Save your expensive cables for signal connections.

HaHa! I don't have any lamp cord, but I do have some George L cable laying around!
Just to clarify about the Mesa recommendation: I was viewing the suggested wiring diagrams in the manual and the speaker cables and the mode switch cables are labeled as un-shielded while the other cables, ie. TA output to 2:90 imput,FX loop send and return to processor are shielded. Figured it meant lack of shielding was important vs not necessary. Interesting perspective! My understanding is the shielding can lead to a short if not grounded properly causing possible failure to the amp. But if lamp cord is good enough, the George L's will be OK!
Thanks Elvis

You're welcome :D

I can't think of a way that the shielding can hurt the amp. The switch is designed so that it either shorts the tip to sleeve or doesn't. If your shield ties to sleeve at both ends, no problem. If it is miswired to tip at both ends, no problem. If it is miswired to tip at one end and sleeve at the other, it just sets the switch, but no damage.

Latest posts

Back