Gentlemen, allow me to introduce a Ms. Ethel Merman

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elpelotero

Reaction score
iE86DB555-2B0E-476D-A9FA-CC301AF24206.jpg

Yes, Ethel Merman, as in the 180w Coliseum IIC+ monster that was married to Mr. Steve Lukather during the 1980's. They divorced some decades ago, and I decided to put a ring on her finger. :D She was irresistable, what could I say :roll: I met her on the dock of a bay one night and proposed to her.

i76C9C26F-6D0B-44A6-91F6-503CF8F97B5F.jpg

She has an incredibly loud singing voice, which is from where Steve gave Ethel her name. Her unique talent also allows her to grunt and roar! No wonder she was a famous Broadway singer.

She has a few odd markings that were put on her by Steve's friend, Bob Bradshaw, back when they were together. I guess they were into kinky things. I'll let the experts decode the markings.

Otherwise, here are some pictures of the honeymoon.
http://www.dotphoto.com/Go.asp?l=pelotero&P=&AID=5880213&Pres=Y

Is it just me, or is anyone else nervous seeing the rectifier head looking like it might fall off the IIC+.

Congrats!

Gentlemen???? (looks around a-la Three Stooges) :lol:

All you need now is the reverb tank, RCA cables, and the rubber feet. Any clue as to why these were removed ?????

What's up with those preamp knob settings in the pics?

Great amp BTW. 8)

JOEY B. said:

All you need now is the reverb tank, RCA cables, and the rubber feet. Any clue as to why these were removed ?????

Great amp BTW. 8)

My guess about the reverb and rubber feet is that this amp was housed in a touring rig case as you can see here (2nd Mesa): http://www.stevelukather.net/Picture.aspx?id=34 so he removed the feet. He was also an efx junkie so he used a better reverb.

The preamp settings are very non-traditional. They are marked in white and sound kind of bad, at least with my guitar. Then again I think he used this mainly as a power amp, so it could explain why the rightmost knobs are set to zero.

I'm interested in knowing about the mods Bradshaw did. You can see them in the gut shots.

Elpelotero said:
JOEY B. said:

Great amp BTW. 8)

My guess about the reverb and rubber feet is that this amp was housed in a touring rig case as you can see here (2nd Mesa): http://www.stevelukather.net/Picture.aspx?id=34 so he removed the feet. He was also an efx junkie so he used a better reverb.

The preamp settings are very non-traditional. They are marked in white and sound kind of bad, at least with my guitar. Then again I think he used this mainly as a power amp, so it could explain why the rightmost knobs are set to zero.

I'm interested in knowing about the mods Bradshaw did. You can see them in the gut shots.

Call or email Bob and ask him haha. :)

gts said:
It's got all the "right parts" ;-)

OT = 180W - SD 190555 Coliseum
(Is this a Simul OT part #?)
PT = 180W - 0180322 Coliseum

I'm almost positive it's not Simul, just from seeing pics of another member's Simul Colis and also since it lacks the blue resistors in the inner tube sockets Boogiebabies spoke about in another thread.

If someone knows something I don't, please share! I'd wet my pants if it was Simul!

Not to resurrect a very old thread, but I mentioned this amp on my twitter account, and Mr. Lukather himself messaged me and told me this amp was stolen and was never called Ethel Merman. Wow. Nice guy haha

Well, I messaged Lukather when I purchased it and he told me the same story. I gave him my phone number to speak about the issue and he never called or messaged back. So as far as I'm concerned, it's not too important to him. I spoke to the seller about the stolen amp story and he said it was a gift to him from Steve, that they were longtime friends, and the had pictures of him and Steve at their kid's birthday parties or something like that.

I can tell you it's definitely a Coliseum C+ though!

Back