Gain v Distortion

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indieboy

Reaction score
Can some of you experts give me a few words on gain v distortion? On my ROV Series 2, channel 2, lots of gain (vintage / modern), when you play individual notes you get a really strong, clear note with lots of sustain. To my ear, it sounds like lots of gain with very little distortion and sounds great.

If you then play 2 notes rapidly on different strings (either on the same or different fret) the first note sounds clear but the second note sounds very heavily distorted and almost unrecognisable. Sounds crap to my ear. If you don't hold the first note (ie lift your finger) then the second note sounds fine.

What's going on? Is that par for the course with a tube amp and just normal distortion when you turn the gain up? Or some sort of harmonic interference?

It's kinda dissuading me from using much gain on the lead channel. If I select Raw mode (not much gain) then the problem isn't nearly as bad. The problem is also totally absent on channel 1 - you can play as many notes as you like and each rings loud and clear.

Obviously you don't buy a boogie to play low gain all the time so I'd like to understand what's going on. Oh, I use a Strat with Bare Knuckle pickups via a handful of simple effects. Thanks in advance for any wise words anyone might have.

that's just the way distortion/gain is on every amp. if you play two notes on two strings next to each other, they're gonna sound like crap. i don't know your technique level, but just in case, you have to learn muting techniques with your left hand fingers. for example, rolling the pressure on and off, maybe using two fingers, even if you could barre the 2 notes. you alternate the pressure on each finger. stuff like that. you could find the same note elsewhere on the neck to see if you can find another way to finger the notes....

another thing you can do is turn up the mids. the mids help a lot as far as note separation is concerned. good luck.

indieboy said:
If you then play 2 notes rapidly on different strings (either on the same or different fret) the first note sounds clear but the second note sounds very heavily distorted and almost unrecognisable. Sounds crap to my ear. If you don't hold the first note (ie lift your finger) then the second note sounds fine.

What's going on?

Sounds like you are using way too much gain on your preamp. What setting are you running it at and what channel?

Back