Gain, Tone Controls Don't Work on Brand New LSC

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAZZGEAR

Reaction score
I just got a brand new LSC 1x12 combo last Friday (fresh out of the box). The first thing wrong was that the reverb and the 10/50 watt settings did not work. Checked the tubes, replaced the rectifier tube and that solved the 10/50 watt setting and replaced v4. Everything was working great. Today I noticed that the tone is a bit off (only checked the clean channel), Kind-a bright and boomy. So I start turning knobs and notice that there's no change in tone. So, I purposely turn the gain all the way down, and nothing-- amp sounds exactly the same, huh? Same volume level same bright boominess, huh? With no Gain? I do the same thing with the tone controls and the same results. The only thing that works is the Master Gain, Presence and the Overall Master and Solo volume.

Anyone have any ideas? Could it be a tube? or multiple tubes?

Yeah, never heard of that either. If you got that amp from GC then you got 30 days to return it. To many problems to soon. Sounds like a lemon. Swap it out. My 2 cents. Sorry for your dilemma.

This was a brand new out of the box, direct from Mesa via Rudy's in NYC.

In any case, the problem has been resolved -- and it was an easy fix. Turned out to be none other than a faulty footswitch cable. Seems the channel switching was left like in an in between state -- between clean and OD -- consequently keeping the preamp in limbo. I had a spare cable -- and that solved it. Now everything is beautiful and lush as it should be.... :mrgreen:

I will be calling Mesa to report the faulty cable, rectifier and reverb preamp tube for a warranty replacement.

You are under warranty. Mesa has top notch warranty service. I would let them know about the tubes you replaced and the bad cable. I a sure they will send replacements

Update: The problem is back....so it was obviously not the footswitch cable. That it mysteriously worked when a switched the cables was just coincidental was not a fix for the problem.

Now I my clean channel is stuck on max volume and gain, none of the controls have any effect (except for presence, channel Master).

I spoke with Marcus about it and he is mythed with the issue -- never heard of it either. I took a video clip of the issue with my iPhone...Will post it up when I can get the video file down to something manageable online.

I am debating whether to box it up and send it straight to Boogie, or a local repair shop.

This is the first time in almost 20 years I've experience a potential lemon from Boogie.

If return and or exchange is an option, I would do that just because that problem is weird and getting weirder. It sounds like a lemon.

I too would take it straight back.
mesa's are expensive gear, they should be flawless 'out of the box'

Latest posts

Back