Gain bleeding through to clean channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

espmaster1

Reaction score
Hey guys, I use a Mark IV, and I am using active EMG pickups, which I don't know if it has anything to do with this... But, When I strike the pick harder on the string than usual, I'm getting a slightly noticeable distorted tone out of some of the notes... Does anyone know what's up?

I really wish I had an answer to that, If I remember correctly it had done it for a slight degree I remember, but it was bearable, now it's just obnoxious. my settings are G:3 T:3.5 B:4 Mid: 3.5 Master:6.5 Presence:5 EQ on. I hope that helps!

The EMG pups are going to add a huge amount of gain to the input but I use EMGs as well and do not have this problem. Also check if your amp is set to triode or pentode. Pentode will have a lot more headroom and if you are running in class A you will have power tube breakup a lot earlier too. Check out eurotubes.com. They have a ton of info on that site about defining and measuring headroom and powertube vs preamp distortion. Maybe they can get you on the right track.

Yeah, pentode and sumul-class should be the cleanest and punchiest combo. I would fiddle with the gain and eq to see if you can adjust it out, if you cant get a good clean then I would start looking at tubes.

could be the ldr's getting old?

also, have you checked the battery? A dying battery makes an EMG really dirty and crackly

The way you put the question reminds me of a problem I had with my Nomad. Gain bleeding through to clean channel says to me that the gain setting on another channel is affecting your tone on the clean channel. This is the problem I had on my nomad. If you were on the clean channel, the notes sounded distorted no matter how low the gain was set on the clean channel. Purely by accident, I raised and lowered the gain on the adjacent channel. With the gain completely off on the distorted channel, there was no more problem on the clean channel. Raise the gain on the distorted channel and the clean channel became distorted. It turned out to be a faulty FET in the channel switching matrix.

However, before taking it to a tech, try changing the battery in your guitar.

Nice one on the battery! It was mor simple than I thought. I the change of battery did it. It's weird cause I usually notice a dramatic difference when the battery is out, but I didn't this time. Thanks for the advice everyone! pretty n3wb15h mistake.

Back