Fulldrive 2 + Lone Star users -- how do you do it?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djw

Reaction score
I have some questions for the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 enthusiasts: How do you use the FD2 with the Lone Star? Does anyone feel like schooling me on this?

I've never been much of a Tube Screamer guy -- I could never see why I'd want that midrange hump, but just recently it dawned on me that something like this with a mid-hump might actually be a good thing -- and even, in terms of leads, might be a smoother transition than the amp's solo boost feature.

Do you use it with the clean or drive channels or both?
Solos, rhythm?
And what sort of music do you play?

Greetings

I am a fan of the FD2, and front load it into both my Mesa amps. I play rock and blues

I get as much gain out of the LSC as I could reasonably need in Ch2, and work from a base sound that I like. The FD2 adds colour, grit and some squash where I need it. Volume is set neutral so I don't get a huge output spike when kicked in, tone is rarely above 10 oclock, and drive controls sit between 10 - 2, depending on amp settings and guitar choice. The tone control works well, so you can dial out any midrange hump you don't want, and Boost adds cream to lead runs

For me, it's about extending options from a sound I like in the LSC. The amp does the tone shaping, the FD2 adds extra colour. It becomes an interactive part of the amp, not a substitute

I find it works well with CH1 too, but usually set the LSC hot enough to go from clean to hair using the guitar vol control

Hope this helps

Alright, I got some time to really turn up today. Before I get into anything, I should let you know my frame of reference is from the world of alternative rock. When I'm jamming with someone, it's fun to play the touch-sensitive blues stuff, but at the end of the day I'm really after a good, warm mid-gain rhythm distortion. My setup today was Fender AmDlx Strat -> FD2 -> Nova Delay -> LSS.

All I can say is it works. I tried using it in front of channel 2, which is currently setup with both Gain and Drive at noon and the voicing set to Thick, but it didn't really add much. In front of channel 1 set clean, though, this pedal really shines. I messed with the settings, and no matter where the knobs were, the pedal sounded great.

I'm not going to say that this is the best overdrive on the market, but it's what I have, and it does a good job.

Latest posts

Back