Four cable method problem with Line 6 X3 Live

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G53

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I hope someone can help as this issue is killing me!

I tried the four cable method with my X3 Live and Mini rectoverb. The problem is that i get sound out of the amp but it is at one constant volume level and neither the gain or master knobs on the amp make any difference EXCEPT that the Master on 12 increases white noise a little which to me indicated that there is more power going somewhere but is not making the amp louder. Conversely if i turn the Master to 0 the amp is at the same volume and if I turn Gain to 0 same problem. Turning the gain knob makes no difference to tone.

In other words whether I have everything at 12 or everything at 0 i get the same volume and tone, but with greater white noise if Master is on 12.

I'm confused as to what's going on as the X3 live just through the FX loop works fine, but I want my stomps and Wah out in front of the amp whihc is why i really want to get thee four cable method to work.

I realise this could be an X3 problem, but wanted to start with the amp. If anyone uses an X3 with their mini rectoverb please get in touch!

Aside from a bad cable or using the wrong in or out, the POD has internal volume and send/return controls. Make sure everything is on. It sounds to me like what is to be plugged into the front is running into the FX loop instead.

Hi guys

Thanks for responding. I am not running an amp model, I have it on "no amp" and /or have that block turned off.

Hi thanks very much for input however having run thru that process I still have the same problem:

The four cable method is working in that I have for example wah and stomp up front and dealt after the mesas preamp but the mesa provides no control over gain or master on either channel.
The only way I can change volume is on the x3. It's almost like the x3 is powering the amp speaker directly and the mesa isn't providing any pre or power amp at all. I should add that the sound that is coming out is reasonably loud, probably between 2-3.

Weird! I'm bummed out actually.....

Make sure the cables are correctly hooked up. If it works fine in serial, but not 4 cable, it is likely not hooked up the right way or it isn't configured correctly. The X3 has send and return levels. It has a volume control even when the amp modeling is off.

Be sure it's hooked up like this.

Latest posts

Back