Found a Mark IIc+ and need help to understand configuration

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcastell

Reaction score
I found a Mark IIc+ head in an online music store. It looks like is in good condition but it does not have the equalizer and I do not know what other features are included, its serial number is 139XX. How can I find what options are included and how much do I expect to pay for it?

Thank you.

rcastell

You should talk to the seller to find out the options, and service history. maybe call mesa with the SN to see if they have a return auth on it for service. I'd say pay as little as you can. What are they asking?

scott

rcastell said:
I found a Mark IIc+ head in an online music store. It looks like is in good condition but it does not have the equalizer and I do not know what other features are included, its serial number is 139XX. How can I find what options are included and how much do I expect to pay for it?

Thank you.

rcastell

Don't worry about the EQ mine is fine without it. It still screams!

zodiac272 said:
You should talk to the seller to find out the options, and service history. maybe call mesa with the SN to see if they have a return auth on it for service. I'd say pay as little as you can. What are they asking?

scott

They are asking for $1999.00 but I think is a little bit high in price since it does not have the graphic equalizer, it seems is a 60W version without Simul-class and I do not know if it has reverb. I'll call Mesa today to check it out.

rcastell

look for the knob on the back that is labeled "Reverb", and it also should have a reverb tank built into a rout of the bottom of the head. $1500 is pretty reasonable, maybe even less. bargain with them, because unless it was serviced, it's probably going to need it. I have bought 3 that were supposed to be in perfect condition, but all had problems. no worries... it's part of the deal when buying 25 yr old amps. this is why it's good to negotiate a good price. At least the best tech is still at mesa factory, which is where you should send it for service.

scott

If you don't buy it someone else will. I bought a couple +'s from a board member in March. I paid a bit more knowing that I would regret not picking them up. I'm glad I did. These things definitely aren't going down in price. I don't regret it one bit. It is so worth it. My advice would be to get it and in a month you won't even remember what you paid for it... and if you do, it will be a bargain by then.

Mark Fore said:
If you don't buy it someone else will. I bought a couple +'s from a board member in March. I paid a bit more knowing that I would regret not picking them up. I'm glad I did. These things definitely aren't going down in price. I don't regret it one bit. It is so worth it. My advice would be to get it and in a month you won't even remember what you paid for it... and if you do, it will be a bargain by then.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the advice. The thing that is holding me is that is a head, in a tolex cabinet and does not have the equalizer. But you are right, I need to decide ASAP!

BTW, I recently bought a Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp and it rocks! It gets really close to the Mark IIc+ tone. I am using the power amplifier section of a Dumble clone that I built from parts facilitated by Ceriatone.

Regards,

rcastell

I'll record something with my C+ to show you what its like w/o EQ. What kind of stuff do you like tone wise? Rock , Metal?

Well,

I decided to go for it! The shop will ship it in the following days and I will post some pictures. One thing that bothers me is that I still feel I payed a little too much for it. But anyway, we only live once, don't we?

rcastell

Congrats... you probably feel like you paid too much, but you will be happy you did. You made the right decision. At the rate these are going up in price, if you don't like it, you can wait a few months and make a little profit. My guess is that you will keep it and think you got a bargain. Nice work!

I went to the store to pick it up today, the S/N is 134XX, it seems it was manufactured in 10/84, and is a SR 34 (I do not know what the 34 stands for.)

Here is the link to the pictures

https://picasaweb.google.com/rcnmina/MKIIcPictures?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCP6ehsGsz6Gt7wE&feat=directlink

I would like to ask anybody with experience on this circuit if the pictures show a typical "SR" configuration and if there are any signs for mods.

I tested it at the store, here is a video with metal settings, the guy from the store ran a Boss EQ on the effect loop. My ears are still ringing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXQv9NI1t0c

I will upload high quality pictures next week.

rcastell

looks super clean! blonde! very nice score. the 60 watters are great! the circuit looks intact, though I can't tell the values of the components. probably good idea to send it to mesa in california to let mike b service it. looks like the caps are from '83... maybe replace the bakelite tube sockets with ceramic. then you will get another 25 years no problem
edit... the "34" on the chassis is for the 34th week of c+ production

scott

I have a 60 watt C+ combo from 8-84. Serial number 132XX. They were really pumping them out! Looks like about 100 per month.

I found out that the OT is a little bit tilted and does not have the MESA inscription. The serial number matches the EIA manufacturer code: EIA606-422 (year 84, production week 22) as indicated by bogiebabies in http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=18184. You can see it at https://picasaweb.google.com/rcnmina/MKIIcPictures?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCP6ehsGsz6Gt7wE&feat=directlink, last two pictures. So, I wonder if this OT was replaced at service time, or just was originally assembled this way by Mesa. It is hard to see any signs of rework. If there was any rework, do you think this will make the amplifier less "valuable?" Any comments?

rcastell

The wires for the OT have the fabric insulation, and the date codes put it before production of the amp right? the OT should be fine, just a little bend in the end bell attachment. this is an amp that you would rather be un-modded, so mods could hurt the value. The few that I have owned, I sent to mesa to make sure they were perfect, and original. It looks to be in amazing condition, so it's a great score.

scott

zodiac272 said:
The wires for the OT have the fabric insulation, and the date codes put it before production of the amp right? the OT should be fine, just a little bend in the end bell attachment. this is an amp that you would rather be un-modded, so mods could hurt the value. The few that I have owned, I sent to mesa to make sure they were perfect, and original. It looks to be in amazing condition, so it's a great score.

scott

Thank you Scott, I will be talking to Mesa first thing Monday morning.

rcastell

Well,

I just spoke with Mike Bendinelli. He was gracious enough to spend 15 min with me and confirmed the serial number, date, and configuration. He also mentioned that the tilt seen on the OT was mainly caused by motion while shipping and that there is usually a screw in the bottom used to tighten adjustment of the OT against the chassis. The OT serial number matches the manufacturing date.

I think I can sleep better tonight.

rcastell

Back