For those who tried EL34s, was is worth it (Roadster)?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

With the Roadster strictly, which do you like better -- EL34s or 6L6s?

• EL 34

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • 6L6

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • THD YellowJackets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

budlovesaly

Reaction score
I am curious to hear about everyone's feedback on these output tubes. I know this is a subject that comes up a lot, but people always appear to post their immediate opinions. I am interested in the opinions of those who have maintained EL34s in their Roadsters/Dual Recs, and what they like or dislike about them.

There are some YouTube clips showing the differences between the two tube in the Roadster, but in the end they are nothing more than exactly that -- compressed YouTube clips! What I did gather from one of the better videos is that there is very little change between the two tubes. I noticed that the EL34s seemed that have some more (slightly more) midrange and a slightly better breakup in the highs, while the 6L6s sounded a bit rounder, offered a bit more sustain in the lows, and had less high breakup.

So what do you all think? Any dial-in tips? Is Channel 2 that much better with EL-34s? Is the recto-chunk still achievable on 3 and 4?

If I do spend some money on these tubes, I will probably stick with Mesa EL34s so I don't run the risk of voiding my warranty. Are Mesa EL34s terrible? I love their 6L6s just fine, but will admit that I haven't tried any others (I used to play with Groove Tubes in my Fender Amps which I also liked, but that is like comparing apples to oranges of course!).

Back