For nocluejimbo... Mark IV short head internals

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

Reaction score
Nocluejimbo...

"No kidding! I'd now love to see a Mk. IV short chassis! My IIc's circuit doesn't look nearly as massve."

Check out the pics of my Mark IVa short head internals that I posted in the topic:

Info from Mesa on my Mark IV

I think that the amount of versatility forces the amount of circuitry. All the additional push/pulls and switching amounts to extra crap in the chassis. I am just glad that it is pcb as opposed to ptp. Can you imagine what it would be like in ptp? The chassis would be huge. In a short head it would have to be really tall inorder to keep the same width. It would probably be as tall as it is deep at least. I just wish that they had used the same deep transformer as the IIC+. The smaller tranny in the Mark IV is probably the reason that it cannot quite achieve the IIC+ cound as convincingly as it might with the larger tranny. Maybe I will look for a larger tranny although this head is already heavy enough. But then again, what is another couple pounds in the quest for tone?

Thanks Boogiebabies. I figured that like most other tube amps that each has its own character but I didn't know why the IIC+ has it's distinct sound. I would like to own a IIC+ someday, maybe I'll save up for one. Until then I can just play my Mark IVa and be happy. I can't wait to get a more correct case for it though. I just need the guy I bought it from to give me his # so I can call him and pick it up. Do you know whether or not the current head case is the same in finish as the original? Or is the tolex on this III case closer to what would have been on it originally? I jsut hate not having the clips in the rear to hang the FU-3. I have the FU-3 perched on top right now and don't want it getting accidentally pulled down my the dogs or the 5 yr old although it is sitting on top of my JMP halfstack.

So I guess I am going to have a wolf in sheeps clothing then. The Mark III case I have has what looks like what I would call rougher tolex. I know what the newer tolex looks like from trips to GC. I just hoped that the Mark IV tolex was the same new and old. I guess I can decide whether to remove the FU-3 clips from the new case and add them into the old case or not. I thought I ordered those from Mesa though. I might have to check before I cut these off. They were supposed to ship with the reverb tank cover. I better check before I ruin a nice case. They might be back ordered or shipped separately. That'd be a bummer to kill a perfect case. The guy said there were no rips or tears and no scuffs. I guess he got it home from GC and racked it immediately or something.

I might just go with the newer nicer tolex and sell this III case to someone who wants to unrack their head or wants to head case their combo. I might be able to get someone to trade me for either one huh? I would rather trade for a combo though because I have the rackmount already even if the combo was completely empty. I have another reverb tank coming in the new case so I could migrate this newer tank into the combo shell.

Boogiebabies said:
..it had the larger Mesa Boogie Logo instead of the small Boogie logo. The thing did not sell for $ 1200.00 on E-Bay. It's a Simul-EQ-Reverb-EV and is a superb amplifier. Take advantage of of other peoples ignorance. I bet the original owner just wanted a different logo.
Crazy stuff....so sad....so true.... well another +1 to the MKIV, the last one I played was brand new..and it sounded killer. If I had to pick a head for a live gig I'd go for the MKIV not the C+. Way more useful.

Back