Footswitch question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heady Jam Fan

Reaction score
I have a Mark III Red Stripe.

I used the GEQ for a lead boost and I also usually turn on my Alesis Microverb (original) set to reverse reverb (kinda like a funky delay).

I was hoping to use a single footswitch to turn both on at the same time and save me some tap dancing. I read the Boss FS5L works for both applications, so I was thinking I could just use a cable that splits to both devices from the FS5L. However, since my amp has reverb as well, I guess the cable for the footswitch would be stereo. Would the FS5L with a split cable still work? If not, is there something else that would work, or would this be a custom build type deal?

One of the issues with using a single switch for two units can be the grounding of the two units through the same cable. I don't know enough about it to be able to explain it really well, I just know it can be an issue.

A simple solution is two FS5Ls.

The FS5L is designed to connect to another FS5L, and the switches are close enough when connected that you can step on both buttons at the same time.

Thanks, thats an option for sure - I do sometimes stomp two pedals at once with decent precision. I guess it would also be nice to have separate controls for both.

If I go that route - would the FS5L work with the Mesa since the footswitch jack is stereo to control reverb and GEQ?

I was also thinking the FS6 might work, but would probably have the same ground issue you described. It has two footswitches (a & b), a mono jack for each one and a stereo for the two. I could connect the amp to the stereo jack (with a stereo cable). One of the two footswitches would control reverb, the other would control GEQ. I could use the mono jack for whichever controls the GEQ to also connect to my Alesis Microverb.

The FS5L can only do mono switching. You'd need the 6L if the amp is designed to use a TRS (stereo) cable to switch two functions.

I don't think you'll be able to use the 6L in the way you describe. It would basically be the same as using a Y cable, which runs you into potential grounding issues again.

screamingdaisy said:
The FS5L can only do mono switching. You'd need the 6L if the amp is designed to use a TRS (stereo) cable to switch two functions.

I don't think you'll be able to use the 6L in the way you describe. It would basically be the same as using a Y cable, which runs you into potential grounding issues again.

Thanks!

I saw an old thread about using the FS5L on the stereo GEQ/Reverb jack and it seemed like the OP was going to try it out, but never wrote whether it worked or not - people seemed to suggest they got it to work, but maybe had to mess around with it a bit (not sure what was involved).

Back